Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old bike has a WTB Speed V saddle and my new bike has a WTB pure v saddle. I'm selling the old bike, so I am losing one of the saddles. I find the speed v much more comfortable, however I have read that the more experienced you get, the more you may want a thinner saddle. I don't understand why, but some people have said this is true.

As it is right now, the pure v kind of crushes the special parts and is thinner, which I don't like. The Speed V is much more comfortable, although not quite as light or easy to get behind when going downhill and such.

Should I just go with the more comfortable saddle, or is there something I'm missing with regard to why I would want a thinner saddle? Do I need to put more miles on the thinner one before passing judgement?

I know saddles are pretty subjective, but thanks for any info.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I must be odd. My Speed V saddle makes my butt sore. My pure V is more comfortable for me. If i were you though, i'd definitely keep the most comfortable saddle. Or buy a cheap saddle, put it on the bike you're selling and keep both.

·
Registered
49 Posts
aballz said:
Or buy a cheap saddle, put it on the bike you're selling and keep both.
+1, you can pick up a cheap saddle off of craigslist or from the LBS or nashbar or something and then you have both saddles so you can have max comfort and when the time is right you can switch to the thinner saddle if you so desire.

·
Hoosier
442 Posts
Saddle thinness is all dependent on the width of your sit bones. I think they might have meant to say as you get more experienced you want a firmer saddle (not as thick of cushioning=thin?). I would definitely go with whichever saddle feels best, if its too thin now it will be forever and possibly cause problems and discomfort.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keatan said:
I think they might have meant to say as you get more experienced you want a firmer saddle
That explains it, thanks so much. It isn't the cushion of the pure v I don't like, but the width. I'm 6'2" 200 pounds, and I have a larger frame, so my body probably needs the wider saddles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.