Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know saddles are a personal preference and everyone's but is a bit different.
But just looking for some suggestions.
I was using a Selle Italia Flite Gel. Good for 1:40 or so rides but darn once you hit
the 3+ hour mark it feels like a board. I've heard some good things about the newer
WTB Saddles. What are some of the more common saddles being used amonst
the Enduro crowd?

·
Registered
151 Posts
titustiguy said:
I was using a Selle Italia Flite Gel. Good for 1:40 or so rides but darn once you hit
the 3+ hour mark it feels like a board. I've heard some good things about the newer
the Enduro crowd?
good question. i just assumed that all saddles felt like a board after 3 hours, but maybe there is something better out there! please post on any womens-specific for enduro if there are any..

·
Registered
385 Posts
titustiguy said:
the Enduro crowd?
I have been on a WTB Laser V Stealth for a few years and love it. It doesn't kill me on 3hr + rides...no numbness, pain or discomfort at all. I ride a hardtail SS, so I think that speaks volumes about it's comfort.

·
Topeak-Ergon Racing
708 Posts
titustiguy said:
the Enduro crowd?
I have been using a Sella San Marco Aspide for just over a year and really like it.

Eddie O

·
That Waters Guy
611 Posts
WTB Podium

WTB definitely is popular around Seattle. They can be found pretty dang cheaply as well, I think I paid only $40 for mine. Should've bought a couple more.

I have a Selle San Marco on my hard tail, but it's so old I can't tell what model it is. It's a good saddle too. I think slightly less numbing, but more board-like, but that's comparing no rear travel vs. 6" of rear travel, so who knows?

The WTB Podium is definitely built beefier than most of the other saddles, if crashing and bending a saddle is a concern. I've done that, and the 20 mile ride back to the car was close to unpleasant.

Rolland

·
Registered
294 Posts
jdub347 said:
I have been on a WTB Laser V Stealth for a few years and love it. It doesn't kill me on 3hr + rides...no numbness, pain or discomfort at all. I ride a hardtail SS, so I think that speaks volumes about it's comfort.
I think saddles are a real personal decision, so no matter what the cost, once you find one that fits you well pay up, and ride happier.

I used to ride w/ the Sella Italia Trans Am Prolink (carbon) which is undeniably a roadie saddle. the thing was comfortable as hell but after breaking 2 I said enough... I'm now riding a Selle Italia Fixe or something like that I got off ebay for worlds cheaper than the Prolink... this is replacing the WTB Lazer V that I broke.

The WTB is fine, but i find it too wide to be comfortable... again, i think the decision is personal.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
WTB has some good shiz-nit!

Last year I ran Fizik Nisene saddles on my bikes (2 Giant NRS Air's) and loved them. This year, I am running WTB (team sponsor), and must say I dig these saddles also. I am running the WTB Rocket V Stealth on my Giant XTC SE1 hardtail, and WTB Shadow V Stealth on my Giant NRS Air. So far so good!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Road saddle!

This might seem kinda strange but I actually prefer a road saddle to a mountain bike saddle. I'm currently using a Fizik Aliante and I love 'em. You have to get the one with the Ti rails for off-road use. It's a great saddle that locks your hips into place on the climbs, but is forgiving enough on the technial.

The thing I don't like about mountain saddles (WTB, Terry, etc...) is that they put stitching on the top of the saddles!! I mean, come on. My butt is already going to be on the saddle for like 24 hours, I don't need a "Princess and the Pea" effect and additionally have the stitching wear on my butt. Plus they will cause some shorts to pill and ruin them forever!

I prefer to have a saddle with some curvature (hence the aliante...compared to something like the SLR) and that doesn't have any stitching!
.nathan.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
titustiguy said:
the Enduro crowd?
WTB SST series here. But like you said it's a personal fit issue.

·
Something goes here...
2,067 Posts
It is personal preference but I run a WTB on my ID which I sometimes do 4 hours or more rides on and it's ggggrrrreeeeaaattt! My racing bike has the Selle Italie SLR and it's great too.

Good luck!

·
Throbbing Member
86 Posts
You saddle choice is personal, butt..

I too stared with a Selle Italia Flite Gel and found that after 4 or 5 hrs. it felt like I was riding on a brick. I changed over to the "classic" WTB SST and have been very happy with the choice.

·
Registered
345 Posts
After one 24, one 12 and two 8 hour efforts this year, I have nothing but very good things to say about my Selle Italia SLR.

Joe

·
Registered
327 Posts
The Fizik Nisene has been very nice to my butt. I have read some people complaining that the fabric sticks to clothes, but I have not had that problem at all.

·
Registered
408 Posts
saddles

haven't used it myself, but the new fizik aireone seems to be getting rave reviews. allows a lot of fore-aft movement on the saddle, which is good for the mtb
Karl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts