Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Basically I'd like some advise because I'm thinking of getting a new seat post with layback on it so that I can affectively increase my top tube length (I'm 6'4" and on a 18" frame, and its a bit cramped on long xc days)

My Bikes a Kona Kikapu FS 2003 model. Will the fact that my weight being further back affects the way that the fox rear shock works?

Any help/advise would be mucho appreciated!

Thanks

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
I don't believe so

I have a Titec Hellbent on my rig and I don't see how it would effect the shock performance. Perhaps some of the engineers or bike builders mught have a differenct perspective.

Clyde

·
Registered
555 Posts
my take

I use layback posts on both my bikes. Some say it is not a good idea to use these posts to increase top tube length, but I can only comment from my experience. As far as I am concerned they solve the problem with those who are shaped like me, with a long torso, and short legs.
The post of choice is the Raceface XY, as it holds up better than the Titec Hellbent, but is more expensive, also the Hellbent is only available in limited sizes. The Thompson is the best but the setback is much smaller. Make sure that you have maximum insertion (4 inches)as these posts, plus clydes weight put a lot of stress on the seatube.
I set the saddle setback,by having a mate follow me down the trail, and watching the rear wheel. adjusting till you get a happy medium between loss of traction, and front end lift while climbing. Cheers, Jim

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
griggaa said:
Will the fact that my weight being further back affects the way that the fox rear shock works?
Not so much in the way it works, but it will be affected and you may need to tweek the tuning slightly.

Increasing setback shifts your center of gravity rearward, shifting weight off your front wheel and onto your rear.

Don't think of this as negatively affecting your rear suspension -- all you're doing is adjusting your bike to make it work better for you. Saddle fore/aft adjustments, whether through choice of saddle, position in clamp, or setback of seatpost, are all ways of performing that adjustment.

·
Registered
85 Posts
griggaa said:
Hi,

Basically I'd like some advise because I'm thinking of getting a new seat post with layback on it so that I can affectively increase my top tube length (I'm 6'4" and on a 18" frame, and its a bit cramped on long xc days)

My Bikes a Kona Kikapu FS 2003 model. Will the fact that my weight being further back affects the way that the fox rear shock works?

Any help/advise would be mucho appreciated!

Thanks
I don't think the seatpost is the problem. I think that your frame is way small for someone your height (which would explain the cramped feel you're experiencing on those long xc jaunts)...

You should be on a 19" or 19.5" frame minimum...possibly a 20"

I'm 5'11", and I'm riding an 18.5" Gary Fisher Joshua X1. The fit is perfect for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.