Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

New to the site. I have a query regarding my seat height, I have done searches on the net regarding the correct saddle height however I have an uncommon problem. I have a bone growth directly behind my right knee which prevents me from bending the knee more than 90 degrees. As a result I have to elevate the seat higher than recommended.

This unfortunately has many disadvantages one of which is stability during technical sections.

However my concern is more with muscle development. I am worried with this riding style that I will put strain on my legs or have other problems.

What are the consequences of riding long term like this with what must be termed an improper setup?

Should I just avoid riding and pick another sport or is it not desirable but not the end of the world either.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
interesting puzzle. a few visits to some local bike shops with good fitters might be able to get more specific.

would it be possible to get a crankset with mis-matched crank arm lengths? maybe a shorter arm for the knee that has limited movement?

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I rode with a too-high saddle for a while. It screwed up my knee. I got over it, but it sucked.

If you lose the muscle tone in your leg, it doesn't guide your patella, and it can track incorrectly, leading to swelling, pain, and a total buzzkill.

How short a crank arm would you need? Bikes tend to ship with 175s lately but 165s are pretty common and shorter sizes are available with a little more effort.

Go see a fitter, or talk to a sports doc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts