Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the risk of sounding like a dope, can road saddles be used on a xc mtb? The reason i ask is that i came across a new range by Prologo. This range uses a material called CPC wich is placed on various parts of the saddle. However, on the mtb specific saddles, this material only goes at the front half of the saddle, whereas the road versions have it throughout. As i'm the sort of rider who spends more time on the saddle than off it, it would be far more appealing to have this material at the rear were the sit bones are, so the road versions look better to me. Any reasons why or why not a road saddle can be used on a mtb? I'm mainly after comfort in a saddle, being on a 26" hardtai. Something with a bit of flex and good vibration damping. I'm currently considering a few saddles by Prologo, a Charge Scoop Ti, and a Specialized Phenom. Any thoughts on these, or recommendations for other comfy saddles?

·
Registered
973 Posts
really tough, or basically impossible to make a personal saddle suggestion, as they are a totally subjective decision. In a perfect world, it would be best to have your LBS allow you to demo a few and then make your call...having said that, I have a WTB LaserV and find it to work well for me...light with titanium rails, carbon & leather. I too spend much of my riding on the saddle...

Attachments

·
Trailhead Poseur
506 Posts
There's not much real difference, saddles are basically universal. I will say that MTB saddles often have a truncated tail and/or nose to make it easier to move around on the bike, and the cover may be made from a more durable material. But really, that's more on a specific model by model basis. So if a road saddle feels good, run it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking there may be an issue with fitting, but as that won't be a problem, i can add road saddles to the search. I'v probably just made things even more complicated, lol.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Have you tried the lbs? I usually pick up cheap ones there that are take offs.. They have a box of them in the back to sift through.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have a lbs anymore. There used to be 2 that were close enough, but they're both closed down now. Bit of a bummer! lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts