Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yeah it is ugly for sure, but it is stable and I like not having any straps contacting carbon. But yeah, most people would just pay their money and wait for shipping and not repurpose stuff.

Anyways, with a frame corner bag, you can fit a tube, tool, bacon strip kit, patches, zip lock of band aids, quick link, zip ties... anything pokey that I don't want to land on in my bib pockets. Some people get one of those mini pumps too, but I just have a frame pump attached to a bottle cage. Packless is nice. I also prefer to have the weight of the stuff of the frame bag near the front of the bike, instead of on my dropper or body.

Please don't take it as offense. Each of us have different needs. I started with the saddle bag strapped to the front triangle. Didn't work, and I didn't need that much storage anyway. Hence the very small packages spread across the frame.

·
Cycologist
7,513 Posts
I am too vain to use a handlebar bag. On the road I associate them with randonneurs. On an MTB I always use a pack or a hip pack so there is no reason to put stuff on the bike.

Then again I am also petty and judgemental. :) I associate hi-vis jackets and vests with Freds commuting to work, so I won't wear it. I have the same feeling about flashing tail lights, so I don't use those. The dress and habits of Freds on department store bikes being adopted by supposedly serious cyclists seems super weird to me.
You sacrifice your safety because you're afraid of what people will think? I do kind of laugh at myself when I realize I forgot to turn off my blinky when I got off the road and find myself on the trail with a blinking taillight. And I figure the high viz will make it easier to spot my body when I go tumbling down a hillside off the trail.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Interesting thread and good to learn different ways to carry stuff on bikes. With a tubeless set-up for shorter trail rides, one saddle-based, storage contributor I thought I'd mention fwiw is Fizik's mtb tool storage gizmo. It includes a multi-tool with built-in inflator head and two 16g CO2 cartridge housings. It has a nut/bolt plus zip tie attachment that integrates seamlessly with Fizik's Alpaca saddle, but I decided to give it a shot with my WTB Volt Race using the zip ties. It looks like this:

On the side view you can see a piece of black tape, which helps elevate the angle of the CO2 housings a bit more to my liking. The attachment was secure without the tape. Singletracks positively reviewed the Fizik storage using just zip ties on a Syncros Tofino saddle. I am going to pair the Fizik multi-tool/CO2with a Dynaplug Racer tubeless repair kit with its included cage mount holder, which will slide under the Fidlock bike base I use for a water bottle holder. That combo will put a multi-tool, CO2, and tireplugs on the bike in fairly low profile ways. Probably inferior to the OneUp EDC, but thought I'd try this approach out for shorter rides.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
On a long travel 29er the wheel hits the bag. You can hear it easily.

I almost always ride without a pack. Tools, pump, tube CO2, all on the bike, either in a frame pouch or in tricky spots (like inside the crank).

Personal stuff, wallet, phone, bars, sunglasses, etc, in a frame bag on the top tube. It has an external mount for the phone which is great for trailforks.

This is good for up to two hours, which is 99% of my rides. Same setup on a road bike. Nothing on me, unless I am dirt jumping.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Interesting thread and good to learn different ways to carry stuff on bikes. With a tubeless set-up for shorter trail rides, one saddle-based, storage contributor I thought I'd mention fwiw is Fizik's mtb tool storage gizmo. It includes a multi-tool with built-in inflator head and two 16g CO2 cartridge housings. It has a nut/bolt plus zip tie attachment that integrates seamlessly with Fizik's Alpaca saddle, but I decided to give it a shot with my WTB Volt Race using the zip ties. It looks like this:

View attachment 1927632 View attachment 1927633

On the side view you can see a piece of black tape, which helps elevate the angle of the CO2 housings a bit more to my liking. The attachment was secure without the tape. Singletracks positively reviewed the Fizik storage using just zip ties on a Syncros Tofino saddle. I am going to pair the Fizik multi-tool/CO2with a Dynaplug Racer tubeless repair kit with its included cage mount holder, which will slide under the Fidlock bike base I use for a water bottle holder. That combo will put a multi-tool, CO2, and tireplugs on the bike in fairly low profile ways. Probably inferior to the OneUp EDC, but thought I'd try this approach out for shorter rides.
For every issue there's a solution!

Thanks for posting

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Everyone that is going to put a saddle bag on a full suspension bike with a dropper should check the tire clearance. Deflate shock, compress all the way, and lower the dropper. Nowadays I only have clearance on the hardtail.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,897 Posts
Everyone that is going to put a saddle bag on a full suspension bike with a dropper should check the tire clearance. Deflate shock, compress all the way, and lower the dropper. Nowadays I only have clearance on the hardtail.
Dog bless long droppers.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Then again I am also petty and judgemental. :) I associate hi-vis jackets and vests with Freds commuting to work, so I won't wear it. I have the same feeling about flashing tail lights, so I don't use those.
You are not going to use tail lights for that? It's one of the best safety features for night riding. I guess when you are dead it does not matter how you look 😀 No one sees you at night anyways.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You are not going to use tail lights for that? It's one of the best safety features for night riding. I guess when you are dead it does not matter how you look 😀 No one sees you at night anyways.
I don't ride on the road when it is dark, and anyone who does is taking more risks than their little blinky will compensate for.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts