Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm old, I use a bag.
This.

I even use a bag on the road bike. People tell me I should ride without it to avoid an uncomfortable sweaty back, but I don't get how they can really be comfortable with the phone, multitool, pump, inner tube, tire levers, wallet, energy bars and even a banana poking from their pockets.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I just got some fix-it sticks recently and those things are great! actual leverage on a portable tool? longer reach for getting somewhere tight? FINALLY.

I'm working towards going packless for really short rides, so looking to adjust my gear layout to put more on the bike. I still have a tube (in a Wolftooth rolltop bag attached to a bracket so it doesn't rotate around the frame), but I'm thinking about downsizing the tube so I can fit other tools in the rolltop bag. I still ride with a pack for longer rides. Times when I need to carry more water, or when I need to carry a spare jacket, extra food, or so on. I recently added a Oneup EDC pump, so there's a small storage space inside the handle of it I haven't used just yet.
I use the Wolf Tooth on my HT, but under the saddle. I have the new, thin Schwalbe tube in there, along with a Wolf Tooth plier, a multi tool, plug kit, some zip ties and other small sundries. Pump goes on the bottle cage.

What @Sparticus said about them on FS is valid, and my Enduro downtube storage makes having a saddle bag unnecessary.

I think a lot of is fashion. The same thing happened in roadie world. People stuff their jerseys with the same crap they used to put in a small saddle bag because they don't like the look of saddle bags. Few of the reasons given here for getting rid of bags apply to road bikes, but saddle bags still disappeared from the cool kids bikes.
Road cycling is my first love, and it always drove me crazy that the perceived aesthetic of a saddle bag was somehow worse than that of bulging jersey pockets. All my road bikes have saddle bags, and they're all allowed at the cool kids table. 😆 :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
Keep things simple
257 Posts
I wear a neon green safety t-shirt. No pockets. Ridiculously cheap compared to “bike” apparel.
Have a neon green jacket too.
My under seat pack, never tried to hurt me.
It has saved me from the walk of shame.
Well past adolescence and looking cool.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,004 Posts
I carry a saddle bag with a small cache of tools and bits (most often to help others with mechanical issues or flats than myself).

Reactions: EKram

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
A saddle bag is the better option on a MTB. Bar or top tube bags are a pain off-road, and not as stable.

Form over fashion; I use it on my road and gravel bikes, too. I'll add a top tube bag for longer rides in these cases.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I admit to not taking pump or tube on most of my local rides now. Tubeless flats are a yearly thing or less (knock on wood), and my last two involved so much tire/wheel damage a tube would have been useless.

On some longer rides I put an undersize tube and mini-pump in my jersey pocket roadie-style. The space where I used to have a seat bag is occupied by a gopro mount and sometimes a tail light.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Form over fashion; I use it on my road and gravel bikes, too. I'll add a top tube bag for longer rides in these cases.

Since my road bike is used on rides with people with non-tubeless tires, and occasional long-distance travel, I bought a medium-sized top-tube pack, and immediately started whacking my knees on it pretty much constantly. It might be the shape of my knees.

I was about to toss it in a fit of rage.... when it occurred to me that flipping it under the top tube was completely out of the way of everything, pretty aero, and looked kind of pro. It needs to be unstrapped and flipped up when opened so my stuff doesn't fall out, but I only open it a few times a month.

Reactions: Crankout

·
Registered
67 Posts
Agreed...!

What about a handlebar bag?
I am too vain to use a handlebar bag. On the road I associate them with randonneurs. On an MTB I always use a pack or a hip pack so there is no reason to put stuff on the bike.

Then again I am also petty and judgemental. :) I associate hi-vis jackets and vests with Freds commuting to work, so I won't wear it. I have the same feeling about flashing tail lights, so I don't use those. The dress and habits of Freds on department store bikes being adopted by supposedly serious cyclists seems super weird to me.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Works. Ugly but works, and probably shaky.
Yeah it is ugly for sure, but it is stable and I like not having any straps contacting carbon. But yeah, most people would just pay their money and wait for shipping and not repurpose stuff.

Anyways, with a frame corner bag, you can fit a tube, tool, bacon strip kit, patches, zip lock of band aids, quick link, zip ties... anything pokey that I don't want to land on in my bib pockets. Some people get one of those mini pumps too, but I just have a frame pump attached to a bottle cage. Packless is nice. I also prefer to have the weight of the stuff of the frame bag near the front of the bike, instead of on my dropper or body.

·
fraid of heights
1,868 Posts
I always hated catching on the seat bag back in the day before droppers. Then I went to carrying everything but the kitchen sink on my back and forgot seat bags. Now I'm back to putting the essentials on the bike. BUT still hate seat bags... :)

I did use one mounted below my bottle cage! Honestly, I wouldn't really have an issue with a smaller one on my seat. But would still rather stow gear lower/more central...

·
Registered
Keep things simple
257 Posts
Put me down as a Fred riding on the road. I live in an area non-receptive to bikes on the road. Commuting to work would be a death wish. Visibility is my gig. My only thoughts of being better than I am is that I have never collided with a moving vehicle.
Then again I am also petty and judgemental. :) I associate hi-vis jackets and vests with Freds commuting to work, so I won't wear it.
What do we call a roadie on an expensive bike, wearing expensive gear, rides 3-4 a year in temps above 70 degrees?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am too vain to use a handlebar bag. On the road I associate them with randonneurs. On an MTB I always use a pack or a hip pack so there is no reason to put stuff on the bike.

Then again I am also petty and judgemental. :) I associate hi-vis jackets and vests with Freds commuting to work, so I won't wear it. I have the same feeling about flashing tail lights, so I don't use those. The dress and habits of Freds on department store bikes being adopted by supposedly serious cyclists seems super weird to me.
I guess you'd be thinking I have a really strange commute when I go riding during hunting season.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've got a saddle bag on the road/gravel bike but use a backpack or hip bag on the MTB. The number of rides I go on where I would want only what I could carry in the saddle bag is so few as to be effectively none. I usually have water or pads or helmet chinbar or tools or snacks or whatever that needs to be brought along. Add that to the hassle of making sure it works with my small frame/dropper.... meh. I'll just ride with the pack.

·
fraid of heights
1,868 Posts
Nice bike. Are those uncut zipties on your NDS chain- & seatstays? Tsk, tsk.
=sParty
Busted... I doofed the rear routing on the new brakes and only noticed at zip ties... decided to just go ride, leave em loose but only realized I didn't trim the next day...

21 - 40 of 50 Posts