Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
No Clue Crew
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After nearly two years of babying my Specialized Pitch it's been discovered that my swingarm is cracked :(

I'm all torn up. I babied this bike like it was fine china. Walked it down the scary trails and pushed it up the hard trails. And I've broken it. I didn't think I'd see this day... :(

RIP Big Yella!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'm assuming it will be warrantied though? Is there a cool story as to how it broke?

·
Registered
984 Posts
It's just a swingarm. Easily replaced. Most bike brands will honor the warranty. Specialized and KHS have been especially good with me about replacing a frame (Specialized) and swingarm (KHS). Go to your favorite bike shop that sells Specialized. They'll take care of you. And you and your Pitch will have many more miles together.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I went through 3 rear triangles on my specialized enduro. Spesh wouldn't warranty any of them. They said that the rear triangle didn't have the same warranty as the frame, which was lifetime. The triangle only carried a one year warranty. My Spesh dealer did give me a great deal on new ones though, they only cost me like $70. or so. Definitely worth fixing IMO.
I'm curious where it cracked. Was it on the chainstay, just behind the frame pivot where the tube is welded to the bulkhead?

·
Registered
546 Posts
One more reason not to buy special ed. Last time I checked the rear triangle was still part of the frame. It sucks that they make some really great products because their business practices suck!!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've been looking to upgrade my bike in the near future hopefully. I've been looking at other brands. Currently on an Enduro. Some companies, like Yeti, don't have lifetime warranty's on frames. Yeti actually has a 2 year on aluminum frames. That was disappointing to read.

·
Break it, Fix it, Ride it
1,940 Posts
I had a crack in the swingarm of my Voodoo. I got a new one, threw it on and was back in business. No need for sadness. This is also why I don't baby bikes - they'll fall apart anyway! Ride hard to extract the most joy.

·
No Clue Crew
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm assuming it will be warrantied though? Is there a cool story as to how it broke?
Yeah, replacement triangle is already on the way.

No cool story. Never knew it was cracked. I took it in to DNA to replace a snapped spoke and they found it. Although, I do specifically remember during my last ride hearing a "ping" from the rear end. Thought it was spoke. Checked them and they were all good. Sometime between that point and the end of that ride is when the spoke broke but I never realized it. That original "ping" may have been the frame giving. I dunno...

I'm curious where it cracked. Was it on the chainstay, just behind the frame pivot where the tube is welded to the bulkhead?
I haven't seen it but they said it cracked where the lower arm connects to the pivot point on the main frame.

The bike is obsolete anyway, it has 26" wheels.
I know! I'm holding out for 32" tires, though. 29" is for poossies.

I had a crack in the swingarm of my Voodoo. I got a new one, threw it on and was back in business. No need for sadness. This is also why I don't baby bikes - they'll fall apart anyway! Ride hard to extract the most joy.
Not sad :) I was just trolling. Anyone that knows me knows I've beaten the sh!t outta this bike for over 2 years. I'm surprised it's lasted this long without a major failure.

It has got me thinking I might start saving for an upgrade. If it's finally cracked it could be a sign that the stress I've put the bike through is starting to wear on the frame.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yeah I was kinda wondering if you were being sarcastic when you mentioned not beating on it. One doesn't generally curse when gingerly carrying their bike down a hilly section.

Those are good bikes. I essentially have the same thing. Love it. Does everything. Looking forward to riding something new again one day though.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Funny, mine cracked sometime during freeskier's Grand Canyon O&B. After catching a shuttle back to Flagstaff and a cab up to Snow Bowl, i couldn't figure out what was buzzing somewhere in the rear. Thought it was a hub. Got home, took the hub apart, cleaned, re-lubed and put back on wheel, wheel on bike. Still buzzed when i pedalled. Thought it was rear brake. Rotor was tight. Replaced pads and spring. Still buzzed. Took bb apart. Cleaned. Regreased. Put back together. Still buzzed, especially when i pedalled. Following weekend went to ride Antelope Creek portion of BCT with friend, first big uphill on dirt road, stood up in the pedals to mash, and rear triangle snapped. Buzzing was where the crack was propagating, epic failure when i stood to mash. Fortunately only a mile from truck (ruined my buddy's ride, but sometimes the way it goes). KHS warrantied the triangle, Ray at Paragon had the part within two days. I swapped the new one in and rides like a champ. Bike does. Not me. I still ride like i'm fat and slow. Probably because i'm fat. And slow.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Shred...it's the new drug
3,844 Posts
If that bike could talk...it would say "Shoot me now and turn me into a pop can...I've had enough" But no...you have to get a replacement swingarm to punish it more! People...this is a testament to someone who wrings the most out of their bikes and keep's asking for more...please, think about the feelings of that poor bike. Let it die peacefully...

·
Break it, Fix it, Ride it
1,940 Posts
Not sad :) I was just trolling. Anyone that knows me knows I've beaten the sh!t outta this bike for over 2 years. I'm surprised it's lasted this long without a major failure.

It has got me thinking I might start saving for an upgrade. If it's finally cracked it could be a sign that the stress I've put the bike through is starting to wear on the frame.
I was kinda sad when I found mine was cracked - and it only took 8 months to get the new swingarm. Had to literally wait for it to be put on the boat with the new frames in china and putz across the pacific. I even got to chat with Joe Murray in Flag and he didn't have any either. I'm glad it has been abused appropriately, although the psychological damage to the bike from the verbal beatings may run deeper than the physical scars. ;)

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I found a crack in my rear triangle this week too.
Salsa stopped making the 135mm rear end on my bike and will be sending me a 142 with a maxle and the bits to convert my hub. It ends up being an upgrade, really, so I'm pleased. It will look funny though. Orange with black decals up front and black ano with red and white decals in the back.

·
No Clue Crew
7,172 Posts
Curious where all the Specialized haters went when Mike reported a warranty replacement?

My one personal experience with Specialized warranty was the best service I've had from any mountain bike company of any size period.

To be honest, if you saw Mike's bike up close, there's no way Spec. should have warrantied that swing arm, considering the level of absolute abuse it's been subjected to. Hopefully they send him a pink anodized one or something so it, you know, matches the rest of the bike.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Curious where all the Specialized haters went when Mike reported a warranty replacement?

My one personal experience with Specialized warranty was the best service I've had from any mountain bike company of any size period.

To be honest, if you saw Mike's bike up close, there's no way Spec. should have warrantied that swing arm, considering the level of absolute abuse it's been subjected to. Hopefully they send him a pink anodized one or something so it, you know, matches the rest of the bike.

We're still here....glad to see Specialized come through. Still doesn't make me like their business practices. I have owned specialized bikes and worked at shops that sold them, I have dealt with them on warranty issues etc....So I would say I'm not your average hater. I think they have some amazing products, BUT the way they do business leaves a LOT to be desired. IMO

·
Vitamin Bike Added
615 Posts
Mike, can we post your 'sessioning the triangle' video back on this thread to demonstrate the best way to handle fine antique 'China'? ;) :thumbsup:

On another note...Time for a Chilcotin?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts