Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MTBr ReMember
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...from Jeff my ride partner/co-worker:

Got some bad news this evening.
Gary Gentz is no longer with us. He and another employee from Goldenale Energy Center were climbing Mt. Jefferson in Orgeon and both apparently fell 150' roped up. Sad for his family and friends. But you know he was doing what he loved.

I met Gary two years ago MTBing at Mt. Adams and then went back and rode with him last September on Mt. St. Helens.

Gary, Thanks for sharing some of the "Best Rides Ever".

Tim

1) TimD( Oldschool ), Tim's Father-in-law, Gary's son, Gary and Jeff.

2) Gary on The Plains of Abraham

3)Gary and Jeff on " Cold Springs" trail Mt. Adams.

4) Gary helping his son repair his bike on " Gotcha" trail Mt. Adams.

Attachments

·
(school of funk that is)
239 Posts
Oh no....

That is sad news indeed. Everybody here in the office is bummed. Gary was just an awesome guy.

Sigh....
Tim
(FWIW... Gary, UncleMTB, and I all work for the same company)

·
MTBr ReMember
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My take on life...

...you may have five minutes or twenty years with someone.
If you give of your spirit, you will have those moments forever.

I had two days with Gary, they were good ones...

On friday nite I attended my 30th HS reunion.
At the reception table was a memorial to our lost classmates.
I knew about severalof them, but as I looked at the faces I saw my best friend...
We rode Motorcycles together for many years...this was how he died, doing what we loved and shared.

I will always keep those moments...

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose..."

Memories aren't baggage, they are the monuments and mementos of a life lived as well as one can.

BTW My T-bird was totalled yesterday...It has been a tough week.

Tim

·
(school of funk that is)
239 Posts
Hey Tim,

Thanks for the message. Sorry to hear about the ride. Really sorry to hear about Gary. Talk about getting the wind knocked out of ya. I think there is a memorial at his house on Thursday or something. I'm going to try and make it. If I go, I'll give them your condolences too...

BR,
Tim

·
MTBr ReMember
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Tim...

Let them know that he shared the joy of living with those of us who didn't know his family.

...The loss of my ride was merely punctuation for a story being written.
It really heightend the sense of how significant a drive to drop off my Daughter at her friends house can be.

You know that you and I have only had three days together.
The meeting at " The cabin " will stay near the top.

There are those on this forum that have become a family to me...some have only shared their words...others have shared much more.

Tim ( glad to be a semi-selfaware dust speck in the universe )

·
MTBr ReMember
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the thoughts...

...I wanted to repost the rides for Gary.

It is sad to lose a friend regardless of how we lost them, but knowing that we've had the chance to live and share our Passion can take the edge off.

...and thanks to those who continue to share our Passion...I will see you on the trail.

Tim

The link to my thread is gone so here is the text:

Boggs: Tracing the lines on an old friends face...

Sometimes when we look at the lines on an old friends face we see the loss of vitality or long gone youth.

Sometimes we see a reflection and know that there are lines on our own face.

This may cause an uneasiness or even denial...Do we age right along with our old friends?

When I see the lines in my face, I know they are formed by the smiles that have been there many times.

The stains of occasional tears leave no trace...

If we look into the eyes and see past the lines we can know the spirit which dwells within...

My ride partner and I met someone new who had never spent time with our friend... He got a very close look, and by the smiles and energy he showed, we knew he had gone deep enough to know the spirit.

We traced some of the deep wide lines that have been long in the making... Most who know this old friend also know these lines.

There are other lines, the ones which are faint and more recent to appear.

Many will never notice or trace these lines...They are found through a more intimate and carefull search.

We met several other riders, some we didn't know, and a couple who had written to me asking about a first visit, and still another who was tending to the needs of this good friend.

My ride partner and I left our new friends cradled in the lap of our old friend still tracing the lines.

My friends and I will continue to spend time tracing the lines and sharing our spirit, with that of our old friend.

There will be new and younger friends and they will trace the lines...never knowing these lines, when they where new and just taking shape, but if they look deep enough they will know the Passion that is the spirit of Boggs.

Photo from "Boggs:Tracing the lines..."

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.