Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys- I have a 95 Fat City frame, and need parts to build it up with. It has a 1" headset, and a canti hanger in the rear. I already have quite a few parts I will definitely be putting on it, like XT thumbshifters and Paul cantilever levers, a MAG21 with a Westpine brake, NIB Tri-Align for the rear, and so on.
But I have some others which are only borderline acceptable. They include XTR cranks, the first generation ones with the splined bb, a steel '97 Bontrager Race quill stem, and White Rocket 88 high flange hubs from around 1999. So what fo you all think? Is this unacceptable sacrilege, or sacrilege where I should just say damn the torpedoes and go for it, or does it just plain not matter?
Your advice is appreciated!
Tim

·
those are Rollercams...
1,890 Posts
It depends upon what you're trying to acheive. If you're looking to build a period-specific showpiece, don't use these parts. If you're looking to build a regular rider around a VERY sweet frame, do it and enjoy the ride. Nothing you're looking to put on there is more than 4 or 5 years older than the frame anyway.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,933 Posts
WTB-rider said:
It depends upon what you're trying to acheive. If you're looking to build a period-specific showpiece, don't use these parts. If you're looking to build a regular rider around a VERY sweet frame, do it and enjoy the ride. Nothing you're looking to put on there is more than 4 or 5 years older than the frame anyway.
Except for his choice of hubs nothing he mentioned is drastically out of period for a 1995 FatChance frame. The thumbshifters were still being made up to 1993, the Avid tri-align brakes still were being made around 1997, westpine scissors brakes debuted in 1994/95, Mag-21s were in production thru to 1996, the XTR cranks/bb he mentioned are 1996.

·
He be a moose too.
2,172 Posts
Oh, maybe a little bit of sacrilege but nothing too much. Might not be totally correct for the year but I seem to remember that vintage meant 10 years or more and now that we are in 2007, gud enuf. Enjoy the ride.

Penguin

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
In my opinion "period correct" is only important in museums. Personally I would never build a bike I intended to ride with lesser parts just to make it more "vintage". I build my bikes with what I feel are the best parts for the job. And besides the beauty of fats is in the frames which as many of us can attest will still be going long after they have worn out their original parts spec.

It just happens that I think that lots of the best mt bike parts were made in the mid 90s.
This is why my main ride is a 95 frame and drivetrain with a a 2002 suspension fork and 2005 Avid Ultimate v brakes. To me none of the following "innovations" really were....
riser bars
9 speed (barf)
trigger shifters
long travel forks (I hate what they do to the aesthetics of a frame)
Any bottom bracket that isn't square taper.

My worry is what I will do when the 8 speed well dries up? I need to hoard more drivetrain parts than I do.

·
Thumbs Up!
751 Posts
uphiller said:
Guys- I have a 95 Fat City frame, and need parts to build it up with. It has a 1" headset, and a canti hanger in the rear. I already have quite a few parts I will definitely be putting on it, like XT thumbshifters and Paul cantilever levers, a MAG21 with a Westpine brake, NIB Tri-Align for the rear, and so on.
But I have some others which are only borderline acceptable. They include XTR cranks, the first generation ones with the splined bb, a steel '97 Bontrager Race quill stem, and White Rocket 88 high flange hubs from around 1999. So what fo you all think? Is this unacceptable sacrilege, or sacrilege where I should just say damn the torpedoes and go for it, or does it just plain not matter?
Tim
Sounds lke a great start. I'm loving my 95/96 Yo. You can always change things as you go, that's what I always end up doing.

Uphiller how well do those Westpine Scissor Brakes work? They look sooo cool I always wondered about their stopping power. Can you post some pics of what you have so far?

·
Exaggerated member
351 Posts
J Ro said:
Uphiller how well do those Westpine Scissor Brakes work? They look sooo cool I always wondered about their stopping power. Can you post some pics of what you have so far?
You can check this link for a pic of the Westpine scissor brakes:

http://www.blackbirdsf.org/brake_obscura/mtb.html

and scroll down towards the bottom of the page. Rumpfy, should you make that link a sticky? (It looks a pretty good reference, excuse the slight thread hijack)

I'd actually never heard of the Westpine brake until reading this thread, very intriguing.

The link above provides a good summary of the other types of rarer brakes that exist too. A good image of the IRD Rotary brake too, they must be powerful.

·
artistic...
7,642 Posts
lucifer said:
In my opinion "period correct" is only important in museums. Personally I would never build a bike I intended to ride with lesser parts just to make it more "vintage". I build my bikes with what I feel are the best parts for the job. And besides the beauty of fats is in the frames which as many of us can attest will still be going long after they have worn out their original parts spec.

It just happens that I think that lots of the best mt bike parts were made in the mid 90s.
This is why my main ride is a 95 frame and drivetrain with a a 2002 suspension fork and 2005 Avid Ultimate v brakes. To me none of the following "innovations" really were....
riser bars
9 speed (barf)
trigger shifters
long travel forks (I hate what they do to the aesthetics of a frame)
Any bottom bracket that isn't square taper.

My worry is what I will do when the 8 speed well dries up? I need to hoard more drivetrain parts than I do.
canti brakes are cute. rigid forks ride better in technical singletrack (for me).
now, riser bars.. they slow the steering. coupled w/ a short stem, which fastens the steering, it creates a diff. weight distribution that favours an aggro disposition. you need a longer top tube to begin with.

·
10,933 Posts
I was one of the first owners of westpine scissors brakes (also a westpine dealer for like 5 years) and let me say, they worked as well as any disc brakes of the period, and if it wasn't for the death of bolt-on fork braces, they probably would have sold a lot better. As is, they had only a couple years before first manitou and then rockshox when to intergrated braces (either bonded as with the mach-5s or cast with the judys) and eventually even marzocchi followed suit. The brakes require a dedicated mounting brace, which in the case of Manitou 2 thru 4s, Rockshox Mag forks, and Marzocchi XC forks replaced the stock braces. For rigid forks and rear frames there was a different mounting brace that fit over the brake studs like a monster brake booster.

Fortunetly for me, the ProForx forks used rockshox mag spec fork braces (Proforx offered aftermarket mag braces too) and so I just ordered the rockshox ones to fit my Girvin ProForx. The fork, brakes, and bike they're attached to are all still doing fine.

·
10,933 Posts
alexk said:
You can check this link for a pic of the Westpine scissor brakes:

http://www.blackbirdsf.org/brake_obscura/mtb.html

and scroll down towards the bottom of the page. Rumpfy, should you make that link a sticky? (It looks a pretty good reference, excuse the slight thread hijack)
The picture they used is taken from my site as it happens.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
uphiller said:
Tim
Go for it. It's not like you're putting Record OR on an old Cannondale suspension frame ;)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
J-Ro- I would post a pic of my brakes, and tell you how they work. But unfortunately I am in Russia now, and the bike is still unbuilt, so I don't know yet.
I actually have a prototype version of the brake, which lacks some of the refinements of production versions. But I feel pretty certain it will have all the stopping power I could ask for, apart from when it gets wet.
Tim

·
Thumbs Up!
751 Posts
uphiller said:
J-Ro- I would post a pic of my brakes, and tell you how they work. But unfortunately I am in Russia now, and the bike is still unbuilt, so I don't know yet.
I actually have a prototype version of the brake, which lacks some of the refinements of production versions. But I feel pretty certain it will have all the stopping power I could ask for, apart from when it gets wet.
Tim
Prototype? Now I really wanna see it!
Post them pics when you can. Good luck with the rest of the build.

·
Exaggerated member
351 Posts
DeeEight said:
The picture they used is taken from my site as it happens.
The same Google search that brought up the Brake Obscura web page also pulled out an earlier VRC thread in 2004. I think it was the 'Favourite Rim Brake of All Time' thread and there was a pic of your Westpine scissors brake with the Girvin Proforx and Kooka brake levers. Lots of blue anno!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.