Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If ever heading to ride in Ely, going to Great Basin National Park or just passing through on Highway 50 check out the Sacramento Pass trails. There is approximately 9 miles of singetrack, but ride more like 15. Slower and techy with some challenging and fun rocky sections. On Trailforks they are listed as Intermediate, but don't let that fool you. Views are outstanding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I stopped of the highway on a road trip and rode this trail system back in early April this year. Great little trail system and can be done in a few hours. I went out and rode the
Sacramento Pass trail clockwise to the top of Lucky Boy. Headed down Lucky Boy and out Mine Shaft Loop clockwise also. Finished back out onto Lucky Boy and back up Sacramento Pass clockwise to finish. Doing this, you are able to ride every bit of the system, with just a little bit of repeating anything.

Really enjoyed the ride. It has some fun flow, but also a lot of nice techy rock which I enjoy. It is surprising how remote you feel on the back side of the Mine Shaft Loop, considering how close you still are to the highway. The views of the peaks to the southwest are beautiful. Like you say, it rides like more than the mileage listed, with some punchy climbs and features, but very enjoyable. There were a couple spots that I got off my bike, but it is a trail most intermediate riders would have no problem with. Trail was in great early season shape when I was there, so not sure what it is like later in the year. Seemed pretty sandy in several areas, which might be a little loose later in the year.

Hope to get back that way again someday, and hopefully check out the Ely area. Did not get to ride there, and it looks like the people there are doing a lot of work. Thanks to all the people there putting in the time and effort on these trails.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I stopped of the highway on a road trip and rode this trail system back in early April this year. Great little trail system and can be done in a few hours. I went out and rode the
Sacramento Pass trail clockwise to the top of Lucky Boy. Headed down Lucky Boy and out Mine Shaft Loop clockwise also. Finished back out onto Lucky Boy and back up Sacramento Pass clockwise to finish. Doing this, you are able to ride every bit of the system, with just a little bit of repeating anything.

Really enjoyed the ride. It has some fun flow, but also a lot of nice techy rock which I enjoy. It is surprising how remote you feel on the back side of the Mine Shaft Loop, considering how close you still are to the highway. The views of the peaks to the southwest are beautiful. Like you say, it rides like more than the mileage listed, with some punchy climbs and features, but very enjoyable. There were a couple spots that I got off my bike, but it is a trail most intermediate riders would have no problem with. Trail was in great early season shape when I was there, so not sure what it is like later in the year. Seemed pretty sandy in several areas, which might be a little loose later in the year.

Hope to get back that way again someday, and hopefully check out the Ely area. Did not get to ride there, and it looks like the people there are doing a lot of work. Thanks to all the people there putting in the time and effort on these trails.
One other cool thing, I felt if you rode it in the opposite direction it would be a vastly different trail and experience.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
@Schril & @Tara-blyHappy Thanks for the input, we're headed out to Ely next week for 4 days and I love me some tech so this will go on the list. How high up is it in relation to Ely? Specifically....should we expect cooler temperatures there or the same as downtown Ely. Just trying to figure out if this should be a morning or early evening ride. How much time should we expect into take out there? 2-3 hours?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't really recall how much lower Ely was than the pass. I am sure it will probably be a bit cooler up there, but I can't imagine it would be too chilly. Definitely agree that the trail would be a very different feel going the opposite direction. Also, it looked like the campground there was kept up well and was very clean. I did not stay there, but I saw only one other person camping there, and no one on the trails. I would think between 2 and 3 hours, with some stops to take in the rock formations and views.

If you are in to lonely roads, then you are also in luck. I drove the road from Cedar City to Ely twice (hwy 130, 21 and 50) and I don't think I had more than one or two cars in my mirror all the way to Baker. Once I hit 50, there were a few as I got nearer to Ely. It is amazing driving through The Great Basin and looking in your mirror for probably 20 miles and seeing no one.

Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Schril & @Tara-blyHappy Thanks for the input, we're headed out to Ely next week for 4 days and I love me some tech so this will go on the list. How high up is it in relation to Ely? Specifically....should we expect cooler temperatures there or the same as downtown Ely. Just trying to figure out if this should be a morning or early evening ride. How much time should we expect into take out there? 2-3 hours?
The ride is only 7.5-8 miles, so not that long. I rode a casual pace, took some photos/views and is was under 2hrs. As far as temps, this area is about 500' higher than Ely, so temps will not be too much different.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't really recall how much lower Ely was than the pass. I am sure it will probably be a bit cooler up there, but I can't imagine it would be too chilly. Definitely agree that the trail would be a very different feel going the opposite direction. Also, it looked like the campground there was kept up well and was very clean. I did not stay there, but I saw only one other person camping there, and no one on the trails. I would think between 2 and 3 hours, with some stops to take in the rock formations and views.

If you are in to lonely roads, then you are also in luck. I drove the road from Cedar City to Ely twice (hwy 130, 21 and 50) and I don't think I had more than one or two cars in my mirror all the way to Baker. Once I hit 50, there were a few as I got nearer to Ely. It is amazing driving through The Great Basin and looking in your mirror for probably 20 miles and seeing no one.

Enjoy your trip!
I stayed at the campground, it was really nice. Did you ride the spur to the 4 additional sites and staging area for horses? That is over the hill, super quiet and faces Great Basin.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks, we'll be headed to Cedar City and Brian Head after Ely so we'll be prepared to be lonely. ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Drove up to the higher camp sites. If I was staying there, that is definitely where I would be. Never been to Brian Head, but rode Cedar City and really enjoyed it. The climbing trail there has to be one of the best I have ever been on. Just does not even feel like you are climbing that much. Hope to get back down that way next spring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.