Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Ethan Harris said:
Which one has better mtn biking near by? good singletrack?
As a destination to visit, or a place to live?

Sacramento doesn't have any all-you-can-eat sushi places like Reno does ... Sushi Club, Aloha Sushi, Sushi Pier, etc., make a great place to load up on protein before heading up to Mt. Rose and hopping on The Rim Trail. Before anyone snickers at the idea of all-you-can-eat sushi, it's very good, and nothing like sushi boat places. It hasn't been updated in a long time, but check out:
http://www.sharkfeeder.com/sushi.html

The singletrack that is convenient to Reno is only accessible part of the year. Sacramento, while probably not having any worthwhile singletrack itself, is central and surrounded by trails (Folsom, Auburn, Sierras, and bay area).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Less Sushi, More Mtn Biking.

Ok, so the sushi rocks, but can someone fill me in with the details of the riding in Reno compared to Sacramento? What good places are near both and how long does it take to get there? Reno must have some sweet stuff near Tahoe? Which town would you choose if your decision was based strictly on biking?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Strictly on biking? Probably Sacramento. You're still close enough to do day trips to Tahoe/Reno, but you're also close enough to make day trips to the bay area, maybe even Santa Cruz. Plus you don't have to deal with snow in the winter.

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
Reno's not seasonal

I've been riding all winter/spring. No problem. When it snows on Peavine you can either ride the snow, or wait 2 to 3 days for it to melt. Truckee and Tahoe are more or less local for us. That's seasonal, but it's a damn long season. If you're in to snow sports (snomobiling is not a sport) then seasonality is a good thing.

-M

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
There's riding in the Reno area all year like the other poster said, but it's high desert "no trees." If you're into that, you'd probably be happy and summer and fall are pretty dang nice around the Tahoe area.

That said, the closer you live to the foothills above Sacramento the closer you are to riding...you have many of the trails already listed, plus access to Nevada City riding, which is only an hour from Sacramento. Yes, Nevada City and Reno are about an hour apart as well, but coming over Donner in winter makes that a trek sometimes not worth the trip. On a sidenote, I live in Auburn, and during the winter I see a number of folks from Reno riding here, so take that for what it is worth.

Either way, I think you'll be happy. If you are buying a house, you'll get more bang for your buck in Reno vs Sacramento area.

Roger

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
i live an hour southwest of sac.

I would say reno

cheaper car registration
cheaper houses
job market is more or less the same
decent winter riding ... HELLA summer riding
closer to tahoe to go snowboarding

and the list goes on .... northern nevada is a great place .... expanding rapidly though cause everyone from ca movin out there

·
Registered
97 Posts
Neither

Ethan Harris said:
Which one has better mtn biking near by? good singletrack?
IMHO, Neither.

If you are looking for good singletrack you need to be somewhere in between. Look at Auburn, CA [ MAP ] if you like the I-80 corridor or somewhere like Folsom, CA [ MAP ] if your more a I-50 corridor guy/gal. Both of these are about half way between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe/Reno and put you within commuting distance of work and good year-round singletrack. And you are still only 1 hour away from Lake Tahoe's summer trails.

This certainly isn't bagging on Reno. There's a lot of good riding up there. I just like the year round aspect of the area . . .

·
Registered
653 Posts
slashk said:
IMHO, Neither.

If you are looking for good singletrack you need to be somewhere in between. Look at Auburn, CA [ MAP ] if you like the I-80 corridor or somewhere like Folsom, CA [ MAP ] if your more a I-50 corridor guy/gal. Both of these are about half way between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe/Reno and put you within commuting distance of work and good year-round singletrack. And you are still only 1 hour away from Lake Tahoe's summer trails.

This certainly isn't bagging on Reno. There's a lot of good riding up there. I just like the year round aspect of the area . . .
True, but that depends on your work, do you go to work more than you ride? It is nice to just go out and ride but I hate commuting and living in sac and working on the other side of sac is bad enough!

·
Registered
23 Posts
hey the sushi at Mikuni rocks............i've had it several times and it;s great.......i grew up in sac and now live in grass valley.....the singletrack is killer up here......i nightride 3 nights a week and the we ride great trails(4) that are only 15 min or less from home...............one ride we do is about 15 miles of which at least 13 are on fun singletrack and we start the ride from my buddy's house....!!!..sweet.......there is very minimal single in sactown so you would need to drive.m..i don't know squat about reno...g.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
BrandonMiller said:
http://sushiref.com/listings/na/usa/cal/north/sacramento/

Mikuni is supposed to be good, but bleh - I'd never touch the stuff. Now if you want hamburger places ;)
I used to go to the Roseville Mikuni's a couple times a week, usually once with my wife, then once or twice with coworkers. It is very good.

Since our baby was born, we started going to Osaka in Rocklin ... much quieter than Mikuni's, and for the most part the same quality and selection. Their BBQ tuna doesn't touch Mikuni's though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.