Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
i can't type the letter s
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
adrenalnjunky said:
g'luck - from what hear that's the first of a couple to hit the coast?
This will be the second in two days. The first hit yesterday and flooded the area. The hardest hit areas were the San Gabriel mountains in Pasadena. Those mountains are denuded from the fires last summer so lots of people are going to have mud messes on their hands. And, yea, there is supposed to be a storm every day this week.

Here's Ocean Beach from a webcam yesterday.

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
Fortunately, the storm moved through SB pretty quickly yesterday. No reports of storm-related damage yet. More rain and wind this morning.

I was riding up Romero Canyon on Saturday, and thinking about how much the trail is going to change after a solid week of rain. Should be pretty interesting (and possibly impassible) the next time I head up there.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
mouse jockey said:
Round Three!

What kind of bike is this? My guess is an Iron Horse SGS.

my guess is Specialized Bighit. And, I was just in Ventura and drove PCH home to Santa Monica, the waves are huge, as big as I've ever seen. Trails are gonna be hammered, and i really feel bad for the people in the station fire area, it must be a mess.

·
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Round 4!

Waterspouts sighted in San Diego yesterday. I've seen 3 in a row one time in Santa Barbara, they are really cool to see as long as you are not in a boat nearby. Here's a pic of what it looked like (not the exact one but pretty close.)

This one is huge off the coast of Delaware. We just get real thin nozzles.

Pic of La Jolla between storm hits. It was REALLY windy!

This girl was leaning into the wind as it held her up.

This lady decided she can drive over a HUGE branch that fell off and blocked the southbound lanes. She didn't make it. Can you say highside and transmisssion problems and tow?

·
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2TurnersNotEnough said:
Fortunately, the storm moved through SB pretty quickly yesterday. No reports of storm-related damage yet. More rain and wind this morning.

I was riding up Romero Canyon on Saturday, and thinking about how much the trail is going to change after a solid week of rain. Should be pretty interesting (and possibly impassible) the next time I head up there.
Yep, :thumbsup: Ahhhh, Romero to CS! Love it!

Once the storms pass, I'll have some exterior home clean-up to do. After that I'll go out to the trails and take some pics if I see anything pretty cool. There is a very thin natural bridge on a trail down here that I expect will be washed away, which really is the only trail in the area you could ride immediately after the rain without effing it up.

Take Care 2TNE!

·
Registered
9,482 Posts
When I was working in San Diego (in a previous century) building houses they used to have the "bad weather let's go home (or surfing)" benchmark of: draw a 12 inch circle on the slab and when three raindrops landed inside they called it.

One day it just barely spit some drops and the guy next to me looked up, totally annoyed, and said "I hate rain!".

·
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
xcguy said:
When I was working in San Diego (in a previous century) building houses they used to have the "bad weather let's go home (or surfing)" benchmark of: draw a 12 inch circle on the slab and when three raindrops landed inside they called it.

One day it just barely spit some drops and the guy next to me looked up, totally annoyed, and said "I hate rain!".
Ha, hah. That's hilarious, I never heard of that before.

·
Yes, that's fonetic
3,893 Posts
xcguy said:

We used to wait untill at least 10 drops hit the circle....

On a related, blowing off work note, there was a construction company on Kauai for a short time after hurricane Iniki that called themselves "Not-While-the-Surf's-Up Construction".

·
Registered
9,482 Posts
mouse jockey said:
Ha, hah. That's hilarious, I never heard of that before.
It soon dawned on me I was on another planet down in SoCal. I overheard this girl in a post office talking all excitedly about something she'd just seen, weather-wise. She didn't actually know the proper terminology but "there was this white stuff on the road". It was hail. She'd never seen hail. She was about 16.

There's no getting around the fact that your current storm pattern would knock the p!ss out of any location anywhere. First fires denuding the hillsides then rain washing the hillsides down to the ocean. Sort of like geological progression on display.

On cool thing I saw: I was flying back in February from Denver to San Diego and a front had dropped about 3 feet of snow on the "mountains" around Julian. I'd just flown over the Rockies, all white covered, and there, within eyesight of the ocean and all the wet greenery that was San Diego was pure fluffy white. I drove up there the next day to get a fleeting taste of home.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.