Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
friend of preston
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saw a blue Sachs mountain bike today decent shape and early 90's componentry. Looked to have a 1 1/4 steerer. Am I seeing things or should I investigate further. Did sachs make mtn? If he did I wasn't paying attention then. I was too busy ogling MB 1's

Edit:
I went and checked the bike out again. Welded steel with a braze on seat collar, there are no markings save the decal on the DT (both sides) the chainstays are curved up 2/3rds the way from the BB, not like a univega, they are curved farther back. Yes it does have grip shift so that may be the source of the stickers.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
oops, my bad...

his parents musta had a sense of humor.....I wonder if they called him "Dick"? ;)

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I think Stan was suggesting that the frame Sachs decals were representative of Sachs components. I can't imagine Richard Sachs making a mountain bike frame with a 1 1/4" steerer tube. The easiest way to find out is to contact R. Sachs through his website.

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
ssmike said:
I think Stan was suggesting that the frame Sachs decals were representative of Sachs components. I can't imagine Richard Sachs making a mountain bike frame with a 1 1/4" steerer tube. The easiest way to find out is to contact R. Sachs through his website.
Yeah, I figured.

I don't know a ton about his work, though I recall seeing someplace that he built maybe less than a hand full of mtn bikes, for people on the 'cross team i think, at one time or other. Like you wrote, contacting him would help confirm this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.