Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I headed up this weekend to do Kitzuma since it had been nearly a year since the last time I had ridden it. Parked at the picnic area and headed up old 70, on to the parking area at top, and then all those switchbacks. It was the first time I had ridden it on my big bike and boy the early season legs weren't up to the challenge.

As I started down the first little dh section there was a sizeable tree branch in the middle of the trail. I slowed to a stop and removed the branch from the trail. As I'm moving it I notice white string or twine running along the trail about 3' to 4' off the ground on the right edge of the trail. I continued on with my ride noticing the twine periodically crosses the trail. I didn't think much of it at first, but it ran almost to the bottom, stopping just before the creek. I had to stop two different times to untangle it from my bike. The second time it had a small branch wrapped up and was slapping around on the back of my bike. If I hadn't stopped, who knows what damage it could have caused.

There were alot of trees down so when I stopped for them, I removed what I could from the trail. Am I jumping the gun and assuming someone was up to no good? I can't imagine anyone left it there for anything productive.

·
Cyclist
493 Posts
trees down too

I road it last thursday night and the string was there too. Looked like someone strung it the entire length of the downhill. Was it some way of measuring distance? survey?

Also, there was a lot of downfall on that trail. There must have been 20-25 trees down on the trail from recent storm damage. Just an fyi to the local trail crew.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
string on other trail....

My experience with string on a trail was in South Carolina......

The Mormons were doing a re-enactment of their long trek to Utah, and the leaders were putting string out for the others to follow. We came up on 150+ folks walking, pulling carts, and we even found the source of the string....two guys up front letting it roll out of saddle bag of the horse one was riding.

I pulled string out of my cassette for weeks.

The next year I got a scoping notice from the USFS about another re-enactment. I responded asking for the string to not be used. As far as I know, they still this every year, but don't use the string anymore.

·
Cyclist
493 Posts
The Mormons were doing a re-enactment of their long trek to Utah, and the leaders were putting string out for the others to follow. We came up on 150+ folks walking, pulling carts, and we even found the source of the string....two guys up front letting it roll out of saddle bag of the horse one was riding.

IF this is indeed the case, then that's a load of crap. Leaving all that string on the trail is nothing but littering in my opinion. No different than leaving trash.

·
I Just Ride
284 Posts
Saw a ranger up in wilsons creek yesterday and asked him about it. He said they are using the string to get mileage for new signs.

I asked him why they couldn't use gps or something that wouldn't leave the string all over the trails and he just said that's what they were told to use. :confused:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
IJR said:
Saw a ranger up in wilsons creek yesterday and asked him about it. He said they are using the string to get mileage for new signs.

I asked him why they couldn't use gps or something that wouldn't leave the string all over the trails and he just said that's what they were told to use. :confused:
I figured it wasn't the Mormons, there's not a door to knock on for miles :confused: :rolleyes: ;)

Seems like the rangers would know enough to pick up the string when they were done...

·
slakDawg
469 Posts
IJR said:

Sinkhole was recently strung out as well...

BTW: lots of trees down as of Sat 5/7.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Kitsuma conditions

Rode Kitsuma on 5/15/05 and the trees have been cleaned up. Thanks to who ever did the trail work. We owe you big time! We got there early in the morning before it started raining and the trail was in great shape. That trail rules. String was still there.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Heartbreak Ridge has the string as well as

newly cut water breaks on Kitsuma and Heartbreak. Hopefully the water breaks will wear down and smooth out over time. Right now they are a real pain. Maybe in the long run it will slow the trail erosion but I wish they had cut them further apart.
I hope they dont do the same in the Wilson Creek area!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.