Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Saaawwweeeet Stainless!

835 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  p nut 
#1 · (Edited)
News on the horizon..this will be awesome for those of us who like the feel of steel..but now in a corrosion resistent form.

Discuss..

http://www.kvastainless.com/

#4 ·
Isn't stainless steel inherently weaker? I've avoided buying stainless knives and favor O1 or D2 steel knives due to strength. Yes, I know the stainless tubing will not spontaneously combust, but regular ol'steel won't rust to vapors, either.

And I know the cost is usually a big factor in stainless, at which point, I'd personally go Ti.

#7 ·
I like the ride of steel..I wonder if the process they use to roll this material has any different effects on ride?
I wouldn't mine trying one in a satin bare finish. I can see some cool designs using this material.
Does stainless offer advantages above corrosion resistance? I dunno..that's why I ask.

Are the tubes butted or straight guage? I should delve deeper into their website and find out.

#10 ·
p nut said:
Isn't stainless steel inherently weaker? I've avoided buying stainless knives and favor O1 or D2 steel knives due to strength. Yes, I know the stainless tubing will not spontaneously combust, but regular ol'steel won't rust to vapors, either.

And I know the cost is usually a big factor in stainless, at which point, I'd personally go Ti.
Here is a quote from the site:

The resulting stainless tube is light and strong, and not nearly as expensive to produce as a seamless tube when compared to other stainless steel alloys or other metals, including titanium.

I'm not saying it's true..but they are. :)

Strength?

Another quote:

MS²™ is an air-hardenable, martensitic stainless steel with amazing tensile strength > 200 ksi (1400 Mpa) which means it's twice as strong as titanium with a frame weight comparable to highend aluminum. The tubing has excellent corrosion-resistance, with elongation > 14% and a hardness ~ 38-42 HRC.

#11 ·
mo0se said:
Yes I'm aware of that..same thing with unprotected alu can oxidize..just thought
it would resist corrosion better than say 4130 or 853..:)
Yeah, that was more directed to others, as there is a common misconception that stainless is rust proof. I'm not totally against stainless. My revolver is stainless and I chose that over blued steel due to the rust resistance. (although if kept up in cleaning, neither should rust, but stainless is a little more maintenance-free).

I don't know much about metal, so my posts are mostly regurgitated info. If they can get the pricing down on stainless, I may look into it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.