Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
All three are hollow forged using 7075 alloy, they all are within a few grams of each other, and use the excellent shifting X-glide chainrings.

So your guess is as good as mine...X7 is probably my favorite drivetrain stuff out there. I've been using it for years and it has always proven to be durable, reliable, and gives you 95% (with the 2011 stuff even more) of the XO performance.

·
Flat six
74 Posts
During my research into this exact scenario I couldn't come up with anything other than the previously mentioned few grams. I had the S1400 on a previous bike and it was great, so when it came up on chainlove for $105 brand new I had to bite! Much better than the S1250 3x10 anchor it replaced.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I want to take advantage of it when it come on chainlove again but if the x7 or x9 is better I'll buy it but I really can't find any info saying they are better besides a few grams.
The difference is likely cosmetic, with the X9 having the nicer finish. S1400 does not have model graphics so it can be mixed with higher priced groups and not look too out of place.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have no idea why this occurred, but I installed an s1400 and about 6 miles into my first ride my small ring was loose and wobbling. I tried to tighten the 4 bolts down but they were stripped out. I didnt check the factory torque or anything, but I know it wasnt loose when i was aligning the front derailleur.

my guess is that at the factory something happened and they were over-torqued and stripped.I dont know if that is an s1400/s7 thing or bad luck....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.