Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am into a new bike that I want for Trailbiking and some light All-Mountain riding. It will be my one-for-all bike as I don't want to go to bike parks anymore. But I still like to ride some rougher trails so that bike should be able to handle that.
Now I am into the new 2012 Stumpjumper FSR. I know how it rides as a 26inch wheeler but I have nearly no experience with the 29inch version. I only had the chance to ride a 2012 SJ FSR Comp 29 on the streets. No SJ 29er testbikes at the moment.
Riding it in the streets was fun and I liked it a lot but I don't know how it will handle in the dirt.
My concerns are if the 29er will be as much fun as the 26inch SJ. Will it be as nimble?
What I've learned from my short riding of the 29er SJ is that the bigger wheels are much smoother to ride when hitting some obstacles. I also likes that I was sitting "in" the bike and between the wheels. That was a nice feeling and I liked it.
If I decide to go with the 29er I might change the fork to the new Fox 34 Talas or Float as I don't know if the 32 Fox RLC will be stiff enough for me.
I would also go for a different fork with the 26 (150mm Fox 32).
So, can you tell your experiences with both, the 26 and the 29inch version of the SJ FSR?
As somebody already have ordered their bikes: Why did you choose the 26 or 29inch version and not the other one?

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
Seriously, you cant make a bad decision here. If you want to rail corners and still go big, i would go 26", if you want a super fast and fun bike, go 29. The 26" is so refined and perfect this year, not that there is anything wrong with it, but it is the first year for the sworks sj 29 fsr.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not an easy decision. :) I can get the 26" in november but have to wait till the end of january for the 29er here in germany.
Buying the 29er would be a little risk as I have no real experience with such a bike. But all the things I read about it sounds great.
Hmm...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.