Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a b**** of a problem with the Sram XX World Cup brakes. It looks like they will need to be bled for the third time in less than 6 months, have weak stopping power, modulation and lever consistency through the course of a ride. Curious if anyone else with this product have contacted Specialized on this and if they are doing? I did notice that quite a few of the 2013 bikes are coming with Magura products?

·
old fart
1,203 Posts
I am having a b**** of a problem with the Sram XX World Cup brakes. It looks like they will need to be bled for the third time in less than 6 months, have weak stopping power, modulation and lever consistency through the course of a ride. Curious if anyone else with this product have contacted Specialized on this and if they are doing? I did notice that quite a few of the 2013 bikes are coming with Magura products?
There is a warranty recall on the XXWC brakes through Specilaized. The brakes have been completely re-designed and have, at least for me, been great. From having serious bleeding issues, variable lever reach and sticking levers, I am now very happy with the replacement ones.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi fill the void,

Funny thing I have the Magura MT 8, a very picky brake, when it comes to bleeding, lever pulling to the bars, partial fluid in brake lines when received new. Magura videos and bleed procedure do not fix the problems. I would not switch over to Magura not so fast, they have issues in production runs, and have not admited to themselves they have a problem or to the general public...kind of like the old style wavy brake rotor people had problems with, corrected with the new storm rotor.

The Magura brakes will have long lever travel right out of the box, if your looking for some responsive quick one finger braking, be prepaired to buy additonal beed kit and fluid to add to the system and spend some time bleeding the brakes.

So with all that said, I myself was looking at the XX brake...again, redesigned version

Skiwi....what do the new XX brakes look like so I know I am getting the latest version? pretty sure I'm returning the Magura MT 8 brakes...just do not think there up to par yet, even with new bleed procedure on Magura forum.

·
old fart
1,203 Posts

So with all that said, I myself was looking at the XX brake...again, redesigned version

Skiwi....what do the new XX brakes look like so I know I am getting the latest version? pretty sure I'm returning the Magura MT 8 brakes...just do not think there up to par yet, even with new bleed procedure on Magura forum.
They have a different calliper, the new one is more "sculpted" there was a photo posted a month or so ago which showed the old and the new. I believe it is now alloy, not magnesium as well. The lever has all-new internals (different bladder, spring etc). Easy way to check is the absence of the pad adjuster - it has now morphed into a 2mm hex adjuster.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hi fill the void,

Funny thing I have the Magura MT 8, a very picky brake, when it comes to bleeding, lever pulling to the bars, partial fluid in brake lines when received new. Magura videos and bleed procedure do not fix the problems. I would not switch over to Magura not so fast, they have issues in production runs, and have not admited to themselves they have a problem or to the general public...kind of like the old style wavy brake rotor people had problems with, corrected with the new storm rotor.

The Magura brakes will have long lever travel right out of the box, if your looking for some responsive quick one finger braking, be prepaired to buy additonal beed kit and fluid to add to the system and spend some time bleeding the brakes.

I agree with you 100%. I had the '11 XXWC brakes and had sticking pistons, both of which were replaced by the '12 version. What a difference! I ended up selling that bike and have been dealing with the MT8 brakes as well, alo very disappointed. Not sure what I'll run in '13.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The brakes I have are the 2012 XX World Cup. Supposedly the early models have bad calipers, not sure what the specifics are. Sram is going to warranty them and will have the new ones middle of next week and will let you know how they operate.

Funny thing, I also had the 2011 XX and they warrantied them as well. That was a case of the magnesium off gassing and causing air bubbles in the lines.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just had the 2012 brakes replaced and Sram sent 2011 brakes for the replacement! You know the ones where you need an allen to adjust the lever reach? Am know pissed. Right out of the gate on the first ride the lever stiffened and the modulation is pathetic. for what ever reason, these brakes do need to get seasoned, but that is bs. Will contact both Specialized and Sram on this and re-post.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the 2012 XX world cup avids, they are terrible!!!! and I have them on 2 of my sworks bikes, they suck the same way on both bikes, especially bad modulation and lever going suddenly very soft, this is not an issue of bleeding. What brakes can I replace them with? Magura mt8? suggestions? Can these avids be really replaced/recalled by specialized? My dealer does not know anything about it ...

·
old fart
1,203 Posts
Just had the 2012 brakes replaced and Sram sent 2011 brakes for the replacement! You know the ones where you need an allen to adjust the lever reach? Am know pissed. Right out of the gate on the first ride the lever stiffened and the modulation is pathetic. for what ever reason, these brakes do need to get seasoned, but that is bs. Will contact both Specialized and Sram on this and re-post.
The 2012 model has the hex lever adjust. The way to tell the 2012 over the 2011 is looking at the caliper. If the caliper has a black painted banjo colt separate from the hose - that the hose screws into, that is the 2012. The 2011 had the usual Elixir stainless banjo connection as part of the hose.

My 2012 XXWC brakes are great. The 2011's were terrible.

·
old fart
1,203 Posts
I have the 2012 XX world cup avids, they are terrible!!!! and I have them on 2 of my sworks bikes, they suck the same way on both bikes, especially bad modulation and lever going suddenly very soft, this is not an issue of bleeding. What brakes can I replace them with? Magura mt8? suggestions? Can these avids be really replaced/recalled by specialized? My dealer does not know anything about it ...
Tell your LBS to contact Specialized. The brakes have been recalled and you should get a re-designed 2012 model. I have and they are a far better brake.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They sent me the 2011 model and along with the hex adjustment is a very weak decision on their part.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have a 2012 Epic and picking up a 2012 S Works Stumpy in a few weeks. Due to a crash on my Epic I had to change out a brake lever. I just put new XTR trail on it and love them so much that I'm changing out the XX for a set of XTR's as soon as I get the bike. My LBS gave me them at nice discount to change them out.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great advice. I am of the opinion if someone sells a product and it fails from the start, they should back it up 100% If SRAM cannot produce a brake that works, they should credit the shop an equal amount for whatever brakes you choose. Specialized should back the consumer up.

·
old fart
1,203 Posts
They sent me the 2011 model and along with the hex adjustment is a very weak decision on their part.
To be clear - the 2012 re-design has a hex adjustment, not the thumb one. There are some 2012's floating around with the thumb adjuster, but not many. The other 2012 "tell-tale" is that the caliper is a different shape, and has a black banjo fitting which that hose screws into, rather than the 2011 which had the SS banjo as part of the hose. The 2012 is a far better unit than the 2011.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked based on the info. you mention about the caliper and deduce they are 2011's. Will verify today and will let you know. Thanks for the good info!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Here are pics of the the 2012 XX brakes on my S-Works. They are the same exact brakes that were on fill the void's bike. So are they early or late 2012's?
IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1227.jpg

·
Registered
351 Posts
I figured the calipers were 2012's, but was thinking the brake lever housing was an earlier model of the 2012's and not the re-designed ones.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just found out the brakes are in fact 2012. The ones spec'd for Specialized came with the dial adjuster, Sram specific brakes do not. Rode them for the second time today and they do work better than the ones warrantied. Will re-post after a few more rides.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts