Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - i have a new '09 Spesh Enduro Comp...for the forseeable future, the set up will remain stock.

I'm pretty much a set up/technical spec noob, so i'm wondering what the word is on the S-Works Eskars that come on the bike.

This will be my local trail bike, and my lift serve all mountain bike. I'm curious to know how they are for serving downhill/all mountain lift access.

Are they basically a mid range all mountain tire? are they considered really good? Should i get something beefier/wider, etc?

also, what psi? I'm about 185 lbs 6'2".

thanks!

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Sweet tires lots of the people I ride with ues them! I think Specalized beefed up the sidewalls a bit(problem with their older tires) for your weight I would start with 25-27 psi front and 27-30 psi for the rear! If you are doing more Dh I'd put a but more in the back (to avoid snakebite) play around with it pressure wise! Everyone has their own prefrences. Have fun!

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
the sworks are the race tires and are thin walled.
If you want more durable tires, get the control" version. If you want the best protection, go for the armadillo elite.

·
EDR
10,312 Posts
sworks tires are an odd choice to spec an Enduro with. If you ride very rocky terrain you'll have to expect a sidewall tear if not careful. I have the Armadillo version of the Eskar (2Bliss). The sidewall is sufficient (barely) for my terrain but the tread life on the rear is poor (lots of granite climbs/step ups), ymmv.

Should i get something beefier/wider, etc?
-Beefier? Definitely for lift assist riding, sworks sidewalls are too thin to inspire confidence.
-Wider? That's up to you. They are pretty close to a true 2.3, at least my 2bliss version are but no where near the volume of my 2.35 Fat Albert. For d/h I'd get something with more volume. The Chunder 2.3 is bigger, at least the 2bliss ones I had, and the SX casing would be a good compromise between the dual ply (and heavy) d/h Chunder and the thin, single-ply Control series.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks. that's very helpful. yes, it sounds like they made a bit of a wrong stock tire choice. I'm in New England, which means steep, rocky, loose rock, many times wet (like last summer)...this should be a tire that can inspire confidence on lift access mountains like Killington and Mt. Snow (though i'll probably just use them when i go on my local trails, as well).

I think i might look at the Nevegal 2.5 or 2.35s, or the WTB Motoraptor 2.4s or Timberwolves...sounds like those tires might be all around the same kind of deal/terrain appropriate tire.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
just use em.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts