Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an 08 S Works Stumpjumper FSR, which is basically identical to the 09, and a friend has just bought the 09 S Works Epic and I have now had a chance to ride both and compare.
The first thing you notice is that the bikes ride very similarly, with the geometry just a little more relaxed on the Stumpy. The Stumpy is a little more comfortable over the rough stuff, but as expected the Epic climbs a touch better. The forks are very similar, both with a solid platform and stiff as you like. The only difference as far as I could feel when riding was the different travel, with both opening up over similar sized bumps.
The rear shock on the Stumpy, when set firm is only marginally softer. If you push down when off the bike you get a couple of millimeteres more travel than the Epic and isn't noticeable. Interestingly when set two clicks out from full firm the platform on the Epic is softer than the Stumpy, allowing more travel over the smaller stuff than on the Stumpy.
I would say that when descending fast, the Stumpy allows for a less skilled rider to get away with it a bit more, and as my mate is a better rider than me we couldn't lose each other when we were riding our own bikes.
I would say my Stumpy with S120 fork climbs as well as my old 07 S Works Epic with a standard fork but the new Epic with e100 fork climbs even better, even over fairly rough stuff, depending on how you set the brains.
The Epic does look small, with a large visibly looking like a medium or even smaller, but it does ride like a large. The carbon chainset changed well, but was making a horrible grinding noise, which needs some shop attention. His large Epic is just over pound lighter than my large Stumpy, without pedals.
Both bikes are brilliant and I would happily own either, and judging by the looks we got from other riders, I am not alone. Specialized have really moved the goalposts with the brain technology at both ends and the balance of the bikes, as long as they remain reliable, which mine has 50 hours riding in.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Great post

Sound like both bikes are equal, one climbs a tad better one decends a tad better. For me pricing becomes the main issue I would take the 09 SJ S Works for the $1100 less. As far as racing goes I could not ask for a better bike than my 08 SJ Pro Carbon FSR.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am in the process of building an 08 S-Works SJ with a new frame that I bought recently. I have finally got all the bits together and I'm really concerned that the complete bike is going to be substantially heavier than my current 05 S-Works Epic. I deliberately specced the SJ to be a little bit more heavy duty than the Epic (120mm Rock Shox Reba Team forks, DT Swiss EX1750 wheels, 203mm / 185mm brakes etc). I had expected the SJ to be maybe 2-3lbs heavier but my gut feeling is that it is going to be more than that! It seems that a little bit here and there quickly adds up!!!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 08 S Works Stumpjumper was actually lighter than my 07 S Works Epic, with the same kit and both are Carbon. The shock on the old Epic was quite heavy and the new forks are lighter, which explains this. My bike weighs 23.3lbs in a large(without pedals).
The price in the UK for the 09 SJ and 09 Epic is the same, £4500 for the complete bike.

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
Great review Pete N

for the last 6 months i've been trying to keep up with the mrs on her 08 Stumpjumper Carbon Pro European Edition (now upgraded beyond S-Works spec) - she just rockets away now downhill, she also climbs 2-4 mph faster!

RichardL said:
I am in the process of building an 08 S-Works SJ with a new frame that I bought recently. I have finally got all the bits together and I'm really concerned that the complete bike is going to be substantially heavier than my current 05 S-Works Epic. I deliberately specced the SJ to be a little bit more heavy duty than the Epic (120mm Rock Shox Reba Team forks, DT Swiss EX1750 wheels, 203mm / 185mm brakes etc). I had expected the SJ to be maybe 2-3lbs heavier but my gut feeling is that it is going to be more than that! It seems that a little bit here and there quickly adds up!!!
I'm halfway building an 09 S-Works Stumpjumper FSR - mostly because i'm fed up of the Brain on my 04 S-Works Stumpjumper missing most of the jarring bumps before waking up and working for a bit. i can't imagine ever selling the beastie after all the adventures we've been on - but a compacted vertebrae is not something i'm looking forward to!

I was seriously going to purchase an 09 Epic frame and switch everything over, but the wifes bike's performance won me over - also the 09 S-Works Epic Schemes are not to my taste, i'll see what there like in 2 years.

weight + durability has been a factor in deciding what componants to purchase. as far as rotors go, i have lightweight + spare 180mm Magura SL drilled rotors + adaptors to fit when up up in the real mountains.

Current Project Spec:
09 S-Works Stumpjumper FSR Frame (M).
09 Specialized Future Shock S120.
XTR M970 Crankset 44-32-22.
XTR M970 B.B. (+ Enduro Zero Ceramic Bearings).
Crank Brothers Candy 4Ti Pedals (Black).
KMC X9 SL Chain (TiN Coated).
XTR M971 DMD Front Derailleur.
XTR M972 Shadow Rear Derailleur (Long) (Modified + Alloy Jockey Bolts).
FSA Ceramic Derailleur Pulleys (Modified).
XTR SL M970 Rapidfire Shifters (+ Alloy Bolts).
Gore Ride-On Extra Long Sealed LF Gear Cables (White).
Syntace Duraflite Carbon Composite Flat Bars 31.8x580mm (Modified).
Carbon Weave End Plugs (Modified).
ESI Racers Edge (Black) (Modified) .
Pyramid MX1 Foam Grip (Black) (Modified) .
Syntace F119 Stem 31.8x90mm (+ Ti Bolts & Modified Shim).
Extralite UltraStar
Cane Creek Steerer Bearings (That Came With The Frame).
MSC Tridente Extra Light Carbon Spacers.
Carbon Ti Carbon Headset Cap With Alloy Bolt. (Modified).
09 Magura Marta SL Mag Ti Brakeset (Custom).
Goodridge Thin Wall Brake Hose (White) (Custom).
Goodridge #103 Silver Alloy Connector Kit (Front) (Custom).
Goodridge #105 Silver Alloy Connector Kit (Rear) (Custom).
Syntace P6 Carbon Seatpost (30.9x350mm) (Modified).
08 Selle Italia SLR Carbonio Flow (Black) (Custom).
Tune Carbon Composite 36.9mm Seatpost Clamp.
S-Works Rib Cage Carbon (Black/Silver).
Dragon Kevlar Chainstay Protector (Custom).
Cateye Micro Wireless Cycling Computer (Black).

Wheelset #1:
DT Swiss 1450 XR Wheelset (+ Enduro Zero Ceramic Bearing Kit).
XTR 970 11-34 Cassette. (TiN Coated).
DT Swiss RWS Titan MTB Skewers (Modified).
Alligator CL Adaptors.
Scrub Metal-Matrix Composite 180mm Rotors.
08 Conti Race King Supersonic 2.2.
DT Swiss XR UST Tubeless Rim Strips.
Mavic UST Valves.
Hutchinson Protect Air (50g in each tire).
Stan's Tubeless Solution (50g in each tire).

...Hopefully under 22lb

·
Registered
262 Posts
personaly,i feel its a waiste to have a brain rear shock on stumpys.a good pro peddle or pushed shock does the same with less hardwre and weight.
my 04 stumpy i used to race it wl rear locked out ....it still used 100mm but rebounded rather fast and wasnt great with the stress on the link,but it was the closest to mimicking the epic....

·
Registered
35 Posts
culturesponge said:
thanks alot, hopefully i'll get the mtn bike building bug out of my system with this one!

not much to see really, the bike should be built by the middle of next month - it's just a load of boxes and parts in bags right now.
Great specs, awesome component selection!

What are you doing in that second photo? Looks like scribing something with an awl?

Also, Cane Creek S8 headset? Was it a typo, if not how did you get it to fit on the integrated system, oversized an all?

·
DeForest Stump
972 Posts
culturesponge said:
I'm halfway building an 09 S-Works Stumpjumper FSR ...

...Hopefully under 22lb
Talk about going all out. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
rsato1 said:
Great specs, awesome component selection!

What are you doing in that second photo? Looks like scribing something with an awl?

Also, Cane Creek S8 headset? Was it a typo, if not how did you get it to fit on the integrated system, oversized an all?
its my father in law with the modified Syntace headset shim. yes he's using a awl to ensure there are no sharp edges just after it was machined - its all so the forks carbon steerer is visible through the windows of an F199 stem, and not just the stupid shim.

...to be honest i've forgotten what name Cane Creek had given the headset that comes with the carbon Stumpjumpers. i went to the CC's website but didn't find much info.

thanks for the encouragement, i could'nt afford to purchase the complete bike, doing a custom build might be expensive too - but its been alot of fun!

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
drecastro said:
just got my new bike today
very nice,

did you upgrade your gear cables to Gore? if so was the extra long kit (3m of outer cable) long enough for both derailleurs?

i was gunning for a Noir crankset, but decided to wait a year for the 2010 Race Face Next SL Carbon Composite Crankset (679g inc BB).

have fun getting it dirty

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.