Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
crashedupderby said:
why do you want a really expensive bike with monster truck geometry?
Eh... Depends on the model. If they make an Epic 29'er, I bet it'll be fast and accurate like the 26" version.

There's been rumors floating around at my LBS about an Epic 29. I'd be interested in it. I love my Epic 26 for racing.

- Jeremy -

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He is trying to scam someone when I ask him about the bike and he said.

"The frame is a 2008 S-Works hardtail disc, originally made for 26" wheels but they also fit 29" wheels with a little smaller tire. Bingo! "

He states in his ad that it's a "29er Frame" he says it's the only 29er frame in the world, which it's not there are a lot of 26 hard tail S-Works bikes in the world....

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
Dkey said:
I want to treat myself to a nice toy this fall and couldn't think of anything better.
Here's a concept, and I know it's against the grain, but what the hell. Take the geometry of the bike you lust after, in this case, a mass produced, mass marketed bike, from a company that has decided to become the 800 lb gorilla in the room (not that I'm opinionated :D Used to love the big S, but they lost me with the whole power dealer, our bikes/product on the floor only crap) Now, find yourself a nice custom builder, and have it's geometry copied. Now you have the bike you want to ride, sans the messy associations with giant profit over substance companies. I'd suggest starting with Titus, IF, Engin, Coconino, Pereira, etc..... Now you have a really special toy, and there's only one like it out there, period :thumbsup:

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Here's a concept, and I know it's against the grain, but what the hell. Take the geometry of the bike you lust after, in this case, a mass produced, mass marketed bike, from a company that has decided to become the 800 lb gorilla in the room (not that I'm opinionated :D Used to love the big S, but they lost me with the whole power dealer, our bikes/product on the floor only crap) Now, find yourself a nice custom builder, and have it's geometry copied. Now you have the bike you want to ride, sans the messy associations with giant profit over substance companies. I'd suggest starting with Titus, IF, Engin, Coconino, Pereira, etc..... Now you have a really special toy, and there's only one like it out there, period :thumbsup:
When I think custom, I think really expensive. But, if you have the money for an s-works, you may as well go custom!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice, as you can tell I'm a newbie and not surprised that I'm spending a little too much. I'm going to go to Interbike this year and ride it before I buy it this time.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Dkey said:
Thanks for the advice, as you can tell I'm a newbie and not surprised that I'm spending a little too much. I'm going to go to Interbike this year and ride it before I buy it this time.
I'm saying this since you say you're a newbie, but if you already know this, sorry for being redundant. Not everyone can go to Interbike...it's an industry show for people in the industry. At least shop employee status is required, as far as I know.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
There's nothing special about their bikes that I'm aware of, other than the image they get people to be fooled to take.
Specialized has nothing on niner, to just name one. A select group of riders may not think you're much unless you ride a Specialized, but I am not in the group sensitive to that argument.
When Sp first brought 29" (calling it fashionably late would flatter them to much), they made it sound like it was always a bad idea until they found out about it, and fixed it in their brainly manner.

Do we need those riders who'll only go 29" when Sp makes an extra expensive version of it? Might as well transfer $1000 into their account for their excellent marketig efforts, and then buy a Fisher Superfly to have something to ride and race.
No-one is unwillingly being fooled.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have to work a bike shop? I assure you I'm a newbie.
Guess I'll have to get a one week job in mid-September somewhere selling bikes, I'll tell them I'll work for commission only, just give me 2% and not sell any.
Thanks for the heads up!

I don't even know if I want a 29er yet, but I know thats for another form...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here's the real scoop. No Epic 29'r in 2009. It was pulled from drawing board as not a great NEW product. SP will not come out with an unproven and not worthy version of the Epic. The stumpy will have more versions in hard tail, to offer a higher end model or two.

·
JB
388 Posts
I've heard that the FSR 29er is not selling well, so I'd guess they won't be coming out with a more expensive version anytime soon, especially given the $4,100 retail for the FSR. One thing that Specy has that most others don't is XXL sizing for us Clydes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.