Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received the rest of my parts for my frame set today. Came in 21.18lbs ready to race. I received the large frame a few weeks back and built it up similar to stock(full xx) with a few changes. I'm only missing a bottle cage.

Changes from stock...
Lightning xx crank(Specialized is out of 175mm cranks til May)
Edge Bar
Truvativ WC stem
xtr pedals w/ti spindles
scrub workhorse rotors
Fast trak front tire/renegade rear, tubeless on 142+ carbon rovals
Selle SLR saddle
sworks.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
That's sick! Don't know what to do about my build to make it lighter. Here are my specs:
2011 Specialized S-Works Epic 29er frame (M)
Stock fork
Sworks crank w/38x24 chainrings
XX cassette
XX shifters
XX FD
XX RD
DTSwiss 240 hubs/Crest rims
Syntace P6 carbon post
Specialized Romin saddle (ti Rails)
Ritchey WCS stem 100mm (ti bolts)
Easton EC90 bar
Eggbeaters 2ti pedals w/ ti spindles (basically 3 ti)
Currently have Avid Elixir Mag CR brakes but will be switching to the Magura SL brakes.
Tires are the Sworks fastback LK's.
Bike weighs 23lbs and can't imagine losing 2lbs. Suggestions?
 

·
Freedom Isn't Free
Joined
·
317 Posts
21.18!

norty_mtb said:
I received the rest of my parts for my frame set today. Came in 21.18lbs ready to race.
View attachment 603422
At first I was sure you were going to say it was a Small frame...21.18 for a Large, that's awesome. Mine, also a Large, came in at 23.5 on the nose (with Z-cage and pedals). I got the stock frame and built it up from there.

I'm running:
Full XX (185 rotor front/160 rotor back)
Specialized carbon seat post
S-Works cranks, XX 39-26 rings
Eggbeaters 2 Ti
142+ carbon wheels
Control Renegade on rear
Control Captain of front
Specialized flat carbon bar
Truvativ World Cup stem (110mm w/ti bolts)
Phenom w/solid Ti rails
ESI Chunky grips

If I changed out the bar, seat post, stem and tires, I'm sure I could drop at least a pound if not 2. S-Works tires wear out too fast. Good job on the build!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,404 Posts
Nice!!!

My XL came in at 23.5 too but changes have been made (new XTR pedals) so it's up a bit. Pulling the tubes today so should drop back down. I'll get it on the scale when I'm done and post up.

Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
erichwic said:
That's sick! Don't know what to do about my build to make it lighter. Bike weighs 23lbs and can't imagine losing 2lbs. Suggestions?
Well, according to the Specialized site he's running tires that weigh 400g each. If you think you can make use of those tires in your conditions, have at it. So funny how lots of people here (and the manufacturer) use flyweight limited use tires to show low weight.

Fastback LK puts you 400g heavier in tires alone. AND some Selle SLR saddles weigh nearly HALF of a Fizik Gobi (at 250g). Looks like you are running a psuedo road saddle (Romin).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
stratmosphere said:
Well, according to the Specialized site he's running tires that weigh 400g each. If you think you can make use of those tires in your conditions, have at it. So funny how lots of people here (and the manufacturer) use flyweight limited use tires to show low weight.

Fastback LK puts you 400g heavier in tires alone. AND some Selle SLR saddles weigh nearly HALF of a Fizik Gobi (at 250g). Looks like you are running a psuedo road saddle (Romin).
I agree. There's no way I can run Renegades all season. Too thin for my taste. As for the saddle, I'm going to give the Romin a go and see how I like it. Swapping brakes will help me shave a few ounces.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,404 Posts
Here we go!

Dropping the tubes got me down to 23.19. Went with more knobs on the front (Rocket Ron EVO 2.25). I LOVE the Romin saddle. Have them on all my bikes now (ti rails, 155 width).

Oh and I forgot to get a pic of it but the S-Works Renegade tires are NOT 400 grams. Unless I had 130 grams of dirt on it (which I didn't). That's right, the one I weighed this evening was the same as the 2.25" Rocket Ron, 530 grams.

I'm trying to figure out how you got your large 2 lbs. lighter. Smaller frame, SLR saddle is probably lighter, the ti spindled XTR pedals (being 210 I'm not going to being trying those anytime soon), Edge bar, rotors (What size?) and the stem may be a bit lighter.

Cheers!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,872 Posts
Amazing how light norty's bike is compared to the rest. Are you going to change the post out? You can easily save 90-100 grams.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm surprised too. I'll see if I can find another scale for a second opinion. The scale at the shop is legit and I the other guys there were just as surprised.

I had to take the Lightning cranks off. I am waiting on different bb from them. I had a sram pf30 bb with the Lightning but arms were too close to the stays. Until then I'm running a Sram 1x10 off of an epic expert.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,506 Posts
A-Hol said:
At first I was sure you were going to say it was a Small frame...21.18 for a Large, that's awesome. Mine, also a Large, came in at 23.5 on the nose (with Z-cage and pedals). I got the stock frame and built it up from there.

I'm running:
Full XX (185 rotor front/160 rotor back)
Specialized carbon seat post
S-Works cranks, XX 39-26 rings
Eggbeaters 2 Ti
142+ carbon wheels
Control Renegade on rear
Control Captain of front
Specialized flat carbon bar
Truvativ World Cup stem (110mm w/ti bolts)
Phenom w/solid Ti rails
ESI Chunky grips

If I changed out the bar, seat post, stem and tires, I'm sure I could drop at least a pound if not 2. S-Works tires wear out too fast. Good job on the build!
How much clearance have you got between the fork bridge and front tyre?

It might be because of the black fork and black tyre but it looks like they're almost touching in that picture.:eekster:
 

·
Freedom Isn't Free
Joined
·
317 Posts
They are not touching, but there is not much room at all. There is still a bit of mud on the local trails here and the Captains pick up a pretty good amount of mud. This has been a bit of an issue so far, but the trails will dry out and there won't be much of an issue. I may move to a FastTrack LK or Renegade on the front later in the year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,506 Posts
A-Hol said:
They are not touching, but there is not much room at all. There is still a bit of mud on the local trails here and the Captains pick up a pretty good amount of mud. This has been a bit of an issue so far, but the trails will dry out and there won't be much of an issue. I may move to a FastTrack LK or Renegade on the front later in the year.
I was wondering about that. That little clearance between the fork and tyre could be a real problem in thick cloggy mud mixed with leaves.:(

Is your front tyre a 29" x 2.00 or 29" x 2.20 Captain?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
norty_mtb said:
I'm surprised too. I'll see if I can find another scale for a second opinion. The scale at the shop is legit and I the other guys there were just as surprised.
I know this sounds crazy, but I bought a 20lb certified weight a long time ago to verify the ultimate scale I use. It was within .01!
 

·
Freedom Isn't Free
Joined
·
317 Posts
2.20

WR304 said:
I was wondering about that. That little clearance between the fork and tyre could be a real problem in thick cloggy mud mixed with leaves.:(

Is your front tyre a 29" x 2.00 or 29" x 2.20 Captain?
They are fine now that the trails have dried out here in Nebraska.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
goneskiian said:
Here we go!



I'm trying to figure out how you got your large 2 lbs. lighter. Smaller frame, SLR saddle is probably lighter, the ti spindled XTR pedals (being 210 I'm not going to being trying those anytime soon), Edge bar, rotors (What size?) and the stem may be a bit lighter.

Cheers!
I'm running 140/160 Scrub workhorse rotors, ESI chunky grips, and the crank is pretty light. I'll get a weight on that while I have it off.
 

·
Freedom Isn't Free
Joined
·
317 Posts
With races starting in two weeks, I just swapped my Control Captain to Control FastTrack LK (LBS had no S-Works FTs) on the front. Got more clearance and dropped ~170 grams! Control Captain 29x2.2 are boat anchors...780 grams!

Next, I'll swap the Control Renegades for S-Works Renegades. Don't know the weight of the Control Renegades yet (still on the rims), but the S-Works came in at 475 grams on my scale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,404 Posts
A-Hol said:
Don't know the weight of the Control Renegades yet (still on the rims), but the S-Works came in at 475 grams on my scale.
Hmmm, I hope mine's an outlier then. I weighed it again just to be sure, 520 grams. So, it's obviously between 520 and 530 grams.
 

·
Freedom Isn't Free
Joined
·
317 Posts
goneskiian said:
Hmmm, I hope mine's an outlier then. I weighed it again just to be sure, 520 grams. So, it's obviously between 520 and 530 grams.
Yeah, 475 vs. 520-530 is a pretty big gap.

My Control Renegades came in at 565 grams. That's nearly 2/3 of a pound (260 grams) dropped in tire weight alone...I should be just under 23 lbs now. :thumbsup:

The S-Works Renegades were a breeze to mount tubeless w/some Stans and a floor pump. I saw only one spot w/some bubbles coming though. A couple of years ago, my S-Works Captains were much more porous.
 

·
Freedom Isn't Free
Joined
·
317 Posts
norty_mtb said:
I'm running 140/160 Scrub workhorse rotors, ESI chunky grips, and the crank is pretty light. I'll get a weight on that while I have it off.
How do the Scrubs work? Are you using Scrub pads?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,872 Posts
A-Hol said:
Yeah, 475 vs. 520-530 is a pretty big gap.

My Control Renegades came in at 565 grams. That's nearly 2/3 of a pound (260 grams) dropped in tire weight alone...I should be just under 23 lbs now. :thumbsup:

The S-Works Renegades were a breeze to mount tubeless w/some Stans and a floor pump. I saw only one spot w/some bubbles coming though. A couple of years ago, my S-Works Captains were much more porous.
Where did you get 260 grams from?
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top