Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Cool, but you have to wheelie it the whole time. Set the front end down even once and your test ride will come to an abrupt halt.

I thought bicycles were just a stepping stone toward moto construction. You planning to stick around, Pete? This looks serious.

You like that design?

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
D.F.L. said:
I thought bicycles were just a stepping stone toward moto construction. You planning to stick around, Pete? This looks serious.

You like that design?
I remain serious about bicycles. In fact, I am more serious now than I ever have been. I'm really all over the map with tons of bicycle projects and the motorcycle project. January has been slated for getting a bunch done on the motorcycle. I have to pull the trigger now on the headstock holder design. I want to be 100% satisfied, but that may not ever happen.

I'm even starting to think about what is coming up after the 1st motorcycle and before the second. A super light fabricated skate truck for vert. A welded aluminium monocoque design. Obviously, I'm all over the map these days.

I like parts of the C/M design. I like that you can set the head angle and use the actual stem that you plan on. The post is 27.2 so I can play a lot with all the different offset posts I have. I like that it uses a real wheel in the rear and I can put the powertap in place. I have at least one major refinement of the design planned this weekend. Where the sliding tubes overlap, it makes the structure sloppy. I'm going to take out some slop and add a preload system.

The main reason that I did not get a Serotta Fit Cycle is that Serotta doesn't sell them anymore. They lease them. They do this no because they were having problems with lame people doing bad fits and making them look bad. Now, if you don't have a certified staff, they take the fit bike away. Many older Serotta Fit Cycles are out there and owned by shops. They are highly sought after and are tricky to get. I have a lead on one that I have been working on for 2 years. I'm hoping that I can get that as an investment to sell in the feuture.

Here's where I am with the motorcycle:

http://pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=PVD_650R_Twin
http://pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=Motorcycle_Frame_Jigs

·
Bike Dork
1,365 Posts
So Peter what is it your going to do exactly with the thing? I've worked with various size-cycles and like the one you got the best, but they're all really limited to their basic application. I think it's cool that you're getting so gung-ho about size and fit because it's been a while since someone has really looked hard at it. Have you spoken to Bill Boston yet?

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
themanmonkey said:
So Peter what is it your going to do exactly with the thing? I've worked with various size-cycles and like the one you got the best, but they're all really limited to their basic application. I think it's cool that you're getting so gung-ho about size and fit because it's been a while since someone has really looked hard at it. Have you spoken to Bill Boston yet?
Do you remember the German, maybe Dutch, guy who had the fit website 10 years ago or so? Had just about every type of fit method covered and would spit out nominals?

·
Bike Dork
1,365 Posts
DWF said:
Do you remember the German, maybe Dutch, guy who had the fit website 10 years ago or so? Had just about every type of fit method covered and would spit out nominals?
This one? The site hasn't worked for years, even after he actually updated the look of it. I emailed the guy years and years ago about that, but never got an answer.

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
themanmonkey said:
This one? The site hasn't worked for years, even after he actually updated the look of it. I emailed the guy years and years ago about that, but never got an answer.
That's it! I couldn't remember his name and had spoken/corresponded with him quite a bit in the late 90's/early 00's. He's pretty cantankerous. It was an excellent resource of the various fitting methods of the day though. Looks like most of it is missing now, page not found on all the links.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
themanmonkey said:
So Peter what is it your going to do exactly with the thing?
I'm trying to do some underground frambuilding classes for some of my physics and engineering students. Most are on the wrong size bike if they have one at all. I've tried sending them to places to get affordable fit numbers, but they come back with utterly useless numbers. I just gave up. When you can't outsource the quality you want, you gotta bring it in house.

I also want to do some small people bikes. I figure that this can really help.

Plus, it's just the coolest tool!!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
DWF said:
Peter have you seen the Tiemeyer fit cycles? Pretty cool.

http://www.tiemeyercycles.com/fitting.html
That's what I have. Man, I've bought a lot of black ano aluminum from colorado this year...

Why I like the Tiemeyer;

-Solid- It's not just our size bike, it's integral to our sportscience operations as well. I run it with the velotron setup and use it as our erg for testing.

- no gimmicks- I don't like gimmicks.

Complaints;
- lots of bolts to adjust

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
SuspectDevice said:
That's what I have. Man, I've bought a lot of black ano aluminum from colorado this year...

Why I like the Tiemeyer;

-Solid- It's not just our size bike, it's integral to our sportscience operations as well. I run it with the velotron setup and use it as our erg for testing.

- no gimmicks- I don't like gimmicks.

Complaints;
- lots of bolts to adjust
Cool. I hauled one back for him from San Jose a couple years ago. He's made a vast amount of improvements since then judging by the model he had at this year's Rocky Mountain Bike Show.

It's a good thing you haven't seen the Guru fit cycle (maybe you have) that Tony Giannascoli of Guru Bikes built. Blew me away. This is the only pic I could find of it online:

Edit: Here's a slightly bigger shot:

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
SuspectDevice said:
Reteul is opening a fit studio/botique store in Denver (or maybe it's already open).

They have the only other Guru fitbike, as far as I know, or at least Guru is building them one.

It's also the place in the Front Range to get a Spooky.
Guru has been one of our best customers over the years. They have about 12 of our frame fixtures and bunches of other goodies. I pretty much bow to Tony whenever I see him; he's a pretty ingenious dude. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Nice one, Peter. There's a few pics of mine over at Flickr: http://flickr.com/photos/planetjohnsen/sets/72157603918216358/ -I really should'nt mention the make of this one, as it appears to be under the same regulation as the Serotta.... Super solid and nice construction. I just need to make a swing-wheel for it (planning to find a worn out spinning bike). Oh, and get it repainted!

Truls
Johnsen Frameworks
www.johnsenframeworks.com

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.