Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help trying to find the pivot that have a lite play. I checked all the pivots and they look ok. The only one that I'm not sure if is tight is the main pivot, because if i use the 10mm hex the other side bearing move and when I use the 5mm hex the other side bearing move too. I think that they are ok too. I think that the problem is in the upper mount shock spacer. The inner sleeve look ok, but the spacer has a little play when is install. The play is a up/down movement not a side by side movement it. That is why I think the problem is the shock spacer. The movement remember the same problem that I had a few years with another full suspension frame from another maker... Any suggestion? :cool:

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
CarlosPR said:
I need help trying to find the pivot that have a lite play. I checked all the pivots and they look ok. The only one that I'm not sure if is tight is the main pivot, because if i use the 10mm hex the other side bearing move and when I use the 5mm hex the other side bearing move too. I think that they are ok too. I think that the problem is in the upper mount shock spacer. The inner sleeve look ok, but the spacer has a little play when is install. The play is a up/down movement not a side by side movement it. That is why I think the problem is the shock spacer. The movement remember the same problem that I had a few years with another full suspension frame from another maker... Any suggestion? :cool:
If I understand you correctly, the DU bushings / reducers have play. This is completely normal. Go to your LBS and have them put new bushings and reducers on the shock. You'll be good to go.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
normal?!

Blue Shorts said:
If I understand you correctly, the DU bushings / reducers have play. This is completely normal. Go to your LBS and have them put new bushings and reducers on the shock. You'll be good to go.
But it is normal after 5 months of use? The frame is practically new.... ;)

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
CarlosPR said:
But it is normal after 5 months of use? The frame is practically new.... ;)
Unfortunately, yes. It depends on the suspension design and the quality of the bushings. I had to replace mine after about 6 months on my 5 spot. The bushings on my other bike lasted almost 2 years, but it is a short travel bike.

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Blue Shorts or Warrgurru, is right...

Blue Shorts said:
Unfortunately, yes. It depends on the suspension design and the quality of the bushings. I had to replace mine after about 6 months on my 5 spot. The bushings on my other bike lasted almost 2 years, but it is a short travel bike.
It's the DU bushing in the SHOCK that wears out quickly, has nothing to do with the actual frame. Cheap and easy to fix though.

·
Ventana Mountain Bikes
172 Posts
You are correct in that the du bushing should last longer than a few months. I believe Fox will warranty their shock bushings for up to a year so call them and get a new one. Our upper shock spacers are hard anodized and rarely need replacing as their bushing (which costs $2 instead of $25 for shock spacers) wears out long before our spacers do.

-Sherwood

1 - 6 of 6 Posts