Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thing weighs about 25lbs. I would like to drop a good pound or more without braking the bank. I just bought this bike and it feels pretty heavy to me. I ride XC with lots of long steep climbs and single track stuff. I used to race XC back in the nineties but now I am just looking for a decent ride that doesn't weigh so much.

Don't ask how I ended up with the odd wheelset, it is a long story. I am leaning towards a new cassette and upgrading rotational weight. I will probably wait to replace the LX stuff for when it brakes or wears out, the stuff works okay for me right now.

Here are the specs:

Zaskar Expert (small)
Fox F90RL forks
LX shifters
LX cranks
LX front derailleur
XT rear derailleur
Avid BB-7 brakes
Avid FR-5 brake levers
Shimano HG-50 cassette
SRAM PC-971 chain
Front Wheel - Mavic X317/Specialized Stout hub/DT Swiss spokes
Rear Wheel - Mavic X317/Shimano M525 hub/DT Swiss spokes
Panaracer Fire XT pro F&B tires
Thomson Elite stem
Thomson Elite seat post
Easton Monkey Lite XC bars
SDG Satellite saddle
Shimano SPD 520 pedals
Salsa bolt seat collar
Nashbar bolt skewers

·
Registered
916 Posts
You could loose a good pound and a half just by changing your tire and tubes...

Get some IRC Mibro (they are dirt cheap, 450g) and some maxxis flyweight tubes (dirt cheap also, 95g each)

I used those panaracer they are real grippy in loose stuff and climb well by they have a lot of rolling resistance ! I bought the IRC Mibro recently and they roll way faster !!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Megaclocker said:
You could loose a good pound and a half just by changing your tire and tubes...

Get some IRC Mibro (they are dirt cheap, 450g) and some maxxis flyweight tubes (dirt cheap also, 95g each)

I used those panaracer they are real grippy in loose stuff and climb well by they have a lot of rolling resistance ! I bought the IRC Mibro recently and they roll way faster !!!
I agree the Panaracer's rolling resistance is crappy. I just bought them last week. Are you sure I can save that much weight? Damn..... I will start my search.

Any other suggestions? I have had no luck in researching the HG-50 cassette. Does anybody know how much it weighs?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts