Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I bought an 04 Marzocchi MX Comp Air and installed in on my Trek 4300. The thing works fabulous, but I am not sure how to adjust it. I originally put 45 psi in it (I am 205 lbs) and the thing acted like it was almost locked out, with no travel at all. I since reduced it down to 25 psi and am getting about 50% travel. Do these things need to be broken in? Is there a procedure? How do I adjust the rebound on this fork? WIll the "popping" noise go away? THanks guys.

Eric

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
ibleedblackandgold said:
Hi, I bought an 04 Marzocchi MX Comp Air and installed in on my Trek 4300. The thing works fabulous, but I am not sure how to adjust it. I originally put 45 psi in it (I am 205 lbs) and the thing acted like it was almost locked out, with no travel at all. I since reduced it down to 25 psi and am getting about 50% travel. Do these things need to be broken in? Is there a procedure? How do I adjust the rebound on this fork? WIll the "popping" noise go away? THanks guys.

Eric
Don't know anything about the popping noise, but Marzocchi forks usually have pretty high stiction when they're new. Just put some miles on it. The manual should have some recommendations on where to start as far, as air pressure, for your weight. If you don't have the manual wyou can download it at the marzocchi web site.

·
Registered
253 Posts
There is a suspension furum on this site. If you ask over there, I'm sure someone will have that fork and will help you dial it in.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
here's what to do....

I've got the 03...low air pressure seems right on mine also, I'm 185+ gear.

1st, as 1 poster said, there's a shocks forum here for specific questions; 2nd, read your manual, it's really simple; 3rd, you may want to use some fork lube like red rum (do they still make that?) to ease stiction on the new seals; 4th, the rebound adjust knob is the right knob @ the top of the stanchion tube, Lefty loosey Righty tighty.

Get to know your stuff and how it works, I don't mean to lecture... however it will add to your riding fun and skill immensely.

good luck Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks to all, especially nnn. I was going to say that the manual really doesnt tell you much, other then to have it service by authorized dealer. also, they give you a special rod to adjust rebound. I rode 10 miles of pretty technical singletrack today, and its already loads better. thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.