Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
mvi said:
Why does he ride 650 C wheels? (kidding).
Saddle still pretty level with this incredible saddle bar difference.
...as with most pro riders. I know of none with the nose down. If anything it would complicate the flying remounts.

These days many 'cross racers spend most of their time on the brake hoods. In my racing days I was in the drops and ran my bars higher than my road bike but lower than my mtb.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
On my cross bikes I actually think the bars are too low, and on the weightweenie racer I've considered taking the drops off completely, as I only ride the hoods and tops.

My remounts do suck, but a seat positioning will not help that I'm afraid. My discounts though... :)
Funny that a pro rider of such height, especially so much of it in the legs, does not pick a 29"er at the very first opportunity. With his skill, talent and dedication so much more must be possible if he'd work to reach the same level of racing on 29" wheels.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Quote "These days many 'cross racers spend most of their time on the brake hoods".
I would say "These days all crossracers, spend all of their time on the brake hoods."
I completely agree with you, feeling so much more in control in the drops. It might have something to do with my messed up thumb joint.
Watching the Euro races I feel there are technical sections where using the deops would be quicker, isf they only would be a little higher. Now the drops are too low, and turned away to get the tops level.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Yeah, and its a custom model, just for he and Barry wicks. Both are 63's. Guys a freakin' stork. Great bike though. Wish I coulda done mine justice.

I do like my Kelly better though.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Padre said:
Anyone seen this?
I've seen his XC rig...but not his crosser...wow....out of control.
I guess he got his set up from Cloxxki!
It mostly comes down to the angle of your back. Tall guys get away with much more saddle to bar drop than short guys because of their long arms. No way a short guy could pull off that kind of drop, unless maybe he was racing on the boards.

Ryan looks good on the bike; much moreso than one might guess from that bike. :)

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
~martini~ said:
Yeah, and its a custom model, just for he and Barry wicks. Both are 63's. Guys a freakin' stork. Great bike though. Wish I coulda done mine justice.
Must be more than 6'3", look at the bike!

I'm 6'4" with huge arms and legs, here's my custom bike. I had the top tube made too long (600), head tube angle too steep (72º). If only I had known then what I do now...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
What I don,t understand is that Trebon is 6'5" and obviously has very long legs. Still the TT is 61 cm and the stem 130 mm (?).
I,m about the same length and 595mm is enough TT with a shorter stem.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Padre said:
it seems if he were in the drops he'd go right over the bars.
i saw it up close and thought to myself.... "how on earth can anyone ride that thing?!" but on the bike he looks totally normal, the guy is built like a spider monkey and can certainly make it go very fast. i don't think i saw him in the drops once.... but then i was in the beer tent for a good bit of time.

e

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
He uses little seat setback, which makes the need for TT and stem greater. My bike has a 60cm TT and 100mm stem, and it's large on me. Even with a 72º STA which cuts like 14mm off the reach.

Cross bikes are not for tall people IMO, so what he accomplishes on them is outstanding. A 29" MTB should suit his body style better, it's just he's got the skills to handle tiny bikes and beat the rest of his nation on them.

·
graps the nettle
519 Posts
what?!?

Cloxxki said:
Cross bikes are not for tall people IMO, so what he accomplishes on them is outstanding. A 29" MTB should suit his body style better, it's just he's got the skills to handle tiny bikes and beat the rest of his nation on them.
yeah, erwin vervecken and adri van der poel were totally hampered by their height racing cross...

a 29" bike might work for trebon as an mtb (although he's ridden them and apparently didn't like them as much as his 26"), but WTF does that have to do with racing cross? most tall guys i used to race cross with had it pretty good: they had larger frames to shoulder and could do so without ganking their elbows on chainrings, and they could reach around the downtubes easier to grab the bars when doing run-ups, as well as being able to execute pretty clean remounts and keep good running speed due to their leg lengths.

·
Art is Resistance
10,375 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Cross bikes are not for tall people IMO, so what he accomplishes on them is outstanding.
Strange comment. He's tall, Barry Wicks is tall, and nearly half the field is pretty tall. I'm 6'3", and i love my 60cm 'cross bike. I couldn't beging to ride it as well as anyone in fields like that, but to say 'cross bikes aren't for tall people is kinda funny.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.