Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the race.

JHK finished without a chain on his 29er, and Sam Shultz got 6th (i think) on his 29er.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I get back to Texas Monday.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
'Bout flippin' time Treefarm got on a 29er.

·
wrench
443 Posts
Yup, Ryan was amazing today. He rocked the course on his 29" Kona.

JHK's bad luck continued with a flat (slammed a rock) and broke his chain when he took another rock to the chain ring which snapped his chain. Luckly that was at the end of the race and did not cost him a place (8th for him) Sam was 6th on his 'Fly.

Both Trebon and Sam ran the Bontrager XDX 1.75" tires. JHK ran the 1.8 XR's.

Congrates to Ryan:thumbsup: His first NMBS XC win.

Matto

·
wrench
443 Posts
Forgot-

Sam Koerber (Willow's brother) of the Gary Fisher 29 Crew took 10th in the Pro XC on his GF Superfly. Awsome ride for him too!

I myself took 6th in the expert race on my 'Fly.

Super fun course today.

Matto

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
mattomoto said:
Sam Koerber (Willow's brother) of the Gary Fisher 29 Crew took 10th in the Pro XC on his GF Superfly. Awsome ride for him too!

I myself took 6th in the expert race on my 'Fly.

Super fun course today.

Matto
Great job in the expert race, Matto! What tires were you running?

I've currently got the baby XR's mounted tubeless on my Sugar for an upcoming race. I'll try not to slam into any rocks.....:eekster:

BB

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Races being won on tires not even considered race tires by those without a tire sponsor. About time Bontrager fixed that, too!
But if Trebon runs Bontragers on a Kona (or do they sponsor), why not go for Schwalbes?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
If the Bonti 1.75 and 1.8 tires are not considered race tires, then what are they?????

The XDX 1.75 makes for a nice rear tire. Not much heavier than a Stans tire (540 XRX VS 500 Crow) and a lot more tread, tubeless ready, etc. I have been on one for the last six weeks and I think the tire rides very well. Raced a rocky XC race last weekend and the tire performed well.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Anyone know the weight of a stock SuperFly?

I don't currently own a 29er, but am considering getting an XC race bike for a series this fall. Seeing the 29ers starting to show up on podiums is real validation of that setup in my opinion. I currently have an aluminum Hi-Fi Pro (26 inch) with a lot of upgrades and it weighs 25.25 lbs. The price on a SuperFly looks very appealing given the components on that bike when comparing it to an almost $6,000 lightweight, dual suspension bike.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
mattomoto said:
Sam Koerber (Willow's brother) of the Gary Fisher 29 Crew took 10th in the Pro XC on his GF Superfly.
Wait, so four of the top ten were on 29"ers? I can't imagine they made up 40% of the field at large so that's a pretty impressive showing, not to mention the win. This should put a lot of questions to rest.

·
line em up, load em tight
78 Posts
anybody that's 6 and half feet tall and not on 29'' wheels is weird. but if your 5' 9'' and 140 lbs 29'' wheels make no sense. its just elementary logic.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
more tech please. said:
anybody that's 6 and half feet tall and not on 29'' wheels is weird. but if your 5' 9'' and 140 lbs 29'' wheels make no sense. its just elementary logic.
Don't tell that to the guy that won the Japanese championship or Mike Patrick ( leading the EFTA series in New England)...I don't think they'd agree with your logic.

·
Banned
57 Posts
you guys kill me....these are pros that are winning, a whole other breed and typically I see some out of shape person on the trail with a 29er trying to get an edge on 26ers,hell they would have trouble propelling a 26er....duuuuuh!, you better have a BIG motor to push a 29er as it takes more effort at the crank to propel a 29er.The world xc champ Julian Absolon rides a 26er and trebon is too weak to compete in internationals....he is not competitive .

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.