Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into the purchase of a new Titus bike this year... I had my eyes on a SB since it's consider a more all-around mountain bike. Recently I've been going back and forth though with the RX100 also. Anyone who's ridden or owned both that could help me with a decision. On the average, I do 4-6 hours rides through SoCal Mountains, 6-9 miles climbs, some technical stuff and I recently started to take it easy on descends due to a friend's scary 80ft. drop which God managed to save his life from. I'm currently riding on a GT XCR iDrive with Psylo U-turn Fork and Cane Creek Cloud 9 rear shock. It's plush but lacks as an efficient climber and handling is not that great due to the single pivot design. It's the only FS bike I've ever owned and I'm sure going into a RX100 or SB is going to be a whole new feel. I thought I'd run a SB with a 5th Element and Minute 1:00 fork and the RX100 with the Swinger 4 and Talas combo. I don't plan on buying another bike for a few years so I'd hate to go back and forth with my choices later. Any care to comment? Thanks in advance for all your info.

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
I was all set to purchase a Switchblade a couple of years ago, even demoed one down in Tempe at the Titus Factory, but then got distracted by the HH100x which was just coming out and was being ballyhooed here on the board, and frankly for what I do, it seemed like the better option. I liked the SB when I rode it although the medium seemed a little short (something they've since remedied I believe). I also like the looks of the traditional double triangle of the HH rather than the interrupted seat tube design of the SB. I like the little steeper head angle and subsequent sharp handling for tight twisty ST, and switchbacks on the HH/RX. Titus has since come out with the easily adjustable travel options for the SB rear which would go well with the adjustable travel TALAS. Pretty versatile, but if you're not going big and just want a great all around mountain bike I thing I'd still recommend the RX100. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
112 Posts
RX80 and SB

I've got a '00 RX80 and a '01 SB. I've got the RX built up more XCish and the SB built up with a 5" coil fork. I tend to ride the SB when I'm out having fun and the RX when I'm out for a workout. In choosing between the two bikes you need to decide which side of the spectrum you are on, i.e. do you prefer efficiency over comfort or comfort over efficiency.

If you are looking for efficiency I'd say the RX100 can't be beat. My RX80 is such a remarkable ride with the addition of a 100mm fork it might be the perfect XCish ride. It handles very quick and is an extremely efficient climber for a FS.

If you are looking for comfort then the SB with the longer travel will be a better choice, but it wouldn't be my first choice. For aggressive trail riding I'd choose a frame that has the option to run an air or coil shock with a minimum of 5" travel. I tend to not favor "on-the-fly" travel adjustments and lockouts because they are often left in the wrong setting and most of today's shocks can be tuned to give any feel the rider desires. I also don't buy the idea of buying a bike because it's versatile. IMO the components/setup of a bike define the nature of the bike. Unless you are willing to swap forks, wheels and bars/stems, you won't have a bike that can feel like a XC hardtail and hammer like a DH FS. With this in mind I'd choose a 5-Spot, X5, Moment, Heckler before the SB for a more comfortable trail bike.

Good luck...

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
I've had both...

Depends on the type of riding you're going to be doing most of the time and your riding style. The SB has more relaxed handling and more travel. This is nice for more open trails where higher speeds are possible. I'm not sure the 5th Air is the best option though. The RX100 (or Hammerhead 100X) is much nicer on tighter trails where handling is much more important than extra travel. The RX100 is going to be a bit more climbing oriented and the SB more DH oriented. Both frames are very versatile though and you can adapt to both. As it happens, the HH is more appropriate for me and my local trails. I have a Minute 1:00 on my HH and now that I've changed the oil, I really like it. I can wind out the travel to 130mm for big DH runs in the mountains and wind it back down to 105-110mm locally. The action is much better than the Fox Float and Vanilla that I've owned previously. The new forks are even better so we shall have to see what comes this fall.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I own both...

I have a SB that I ride in Arizona for its plushness in rough terrain and its geometry for downhill stability. I ride the RX100 in Michigan for technical trail. The SB climbs well but the RX100 climbs better. The RX100 handles quicker in technical. If you always take it easy on downhill sections then I'd go with the RX100. The SB invokes confidence in downhill sections - maybe a plus for you? Downhill stability and plushness are the only ride qualities that I notice the RX100 gives up to the SB. Otherwise, RX100 all the way!
fro

·
Stand back
4,211 Posts
versatility is a bad thing?

My Push'd SB rocks - uphill and down. No way I'd trade relaxed downhill tech sections for easier uphill switchbacks, but then that's me riding the terrain near Denver. If I was still in MI, maybe I'd pick a HH100, too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hh100x

I always wondered what a HH was... dugh! Well, I found out as of yesterday and checked out their site. I thank you all for your feedback and after checking out the HH, it really seems like the obvious choice for me. Most of the trails I ride ARE tight and technical with long climbs. The decends are fairly smooth, sometimes a bit rocky here and there depending where we go but nothing I would ever consider flowing through at high speeds. What I liked about the HH100X vs. Titus RX100 was the availability to choose from different frame sizes (which are close in specs. from one another), I was thinking of going with a next size up and using a shorter 100/110 stem. Also, their color availabilty is pretty sweet which is a nice idea considering the investment, it's nice to look cool too. Finally, I liked the fact that I can also run a 125mm (5") fork, and it'll work with the geometry of the frame, which will make the decends and steep steps a bit better to handle. The price is good considering everything else out there too so, thanks again people, nothing like getting some good reviews and hands on opinions on both bikes. It's obvious that eveyone who owns a Titus is a happy biker indeed. Now, it's gonna be my turn too!

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Yes, the HH is a "Where have you been all my life?" bike. Over two years later and it's still the perfect bike for me.

·
Hairshirt Rider
1,875 Posts
I recently went the other way

Rode a HH for two years, I loved the HH for much of the riding I did, but was looking for more travel and handling that was a bit less nervous. I haven't found the slightly more relaxed handling to be a liability at all when the trail gets tight. I've got a Pushed shock which eliminated my only complaint about the SB (too much rear suspension motion under heavy efforts) when I first rode it back in '02. The bike climbs great, only a wee bit less efficient than the HH and the SB still gets through the really tight switchbacks (up adn down) just as easily as the HH. The SB inspires more confidence on descents when the speed picks up.

The other big plus for SB is versatility. The 4.5 inch travel is great for most of the stuff I ride, but if I ever need it to handle like the HH, I can change the travel. I also bought the long travel rockers, so If I want 5+, I can change the travel.

Good luck with the purchase - its a tough choice.

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
I replied on your other post too. Sounds like you're going with the HH. Good choice.....great choice. I love the bike more and more everyday I ride it. I'm thinking of getting another bike (more FR oriented) but that doesn't detract from the HH at all cuz I'm not getting rid of it.......wouldn't think of it. If you get the 22.5 (since your older one is a 22) with the 110 stem, that would be the same set up as me. I used to have a 120 on it but went with the 110 after a bit of tweaking and it's perfect for me (I'm 5'7").

If you order the HH, give it at least 3 months from when you order the bike. I know...that sucks, but that's the way it goes.....Titus is backlogged but that's the price you pay for THE BEST.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts