Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently roll a '07 Specialized Stumpy HT - Basically the only thing factory is the frame.
It is a 21" - XL

I am 6'0 and wear, 34/32 pants - Basically I ran across what looks to be a nice deal from Chain Love:
http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/TTS0002/Titus-Racer-X-Carbon-Mountain-Bike-Frame.html

It's that exactly, but an additional $200 off. Sitting in the cart ready to buy... but they only have a L.
I'm thinking I can get away with a L and if so, I would love to build a RX for the upcoming Spring / Summer / Fall - racing season. Was planning on switching most from the Stumpy to the RX.

Per my height / inseam, L suffice?

·
offroader
2,190 Posts
You're 6' and riding an XL 21"? How do you do it? That bike is way too big for you. I'm the exact same size as you and I ride 18.5-19.5" frames they fit me perfectly.

I think 21" would fit someone 6'3" or taller.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's what people have said... and I kill on it, strange huh. Well maybe I should go to a L then...

I did go back and forth between an L-XL and the XL just seemed to work. Now I have tested other brands and the L fit.
Grrr.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'm 6'1" and riding a 19.5 Felt Virtue 3 and it always felt too small for me. I had to raise the seat post to the last notch label on the post to get the best stroke. I always felt like I was hovering past the head tube while riding and the stem was used to compensate for the extra length I needed. Not sure if this was a design to distribute more weight on the front wheel or what. Seemed like I kept wishing I should have got the XL instead on that deal.

So this time around I decided to go with a racer x XL frame. Can't really help you on how it feels though as I'm currently not able to ride and it's not built up. But just by hovering above the frame I do like those extra inches I get with it. Don't think I'll have to raise the seat up to the last notch either. Only the ride will tell if I truly like it though.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The best way to find out is going in for a fitting. I have a long torso and arms apparently so I decided to go the custom route. I actually had 3 or 4 fittings at different shops and they all told me my TT on my old bike was too short, which it felt like when I was riding, hence all the fittings.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I'm 5'11" w/ 34" inseam. I rode a large RX for two seasons and it was just about right. If I had to guess, I would say that a Large would be a perfect fit for you. It's a great buy, I'd go for it if it's not too late.

·
Registered
937 Posts
That's a smoking deal! Plus you will be able to afford a nice light wheel set to boot! I wonder if Stan over at Notubes has any deals on wheels?

If your lookin for a build kit, check out Rbikes.com. They gave me a smoking deal this past Spring, luckily before the Canadian dollar crashed!

Sopwithcamel

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, came up again! Well it looks like I lost the $1247 - but they still have an inventory of 11 left @ $1,496.97

Hmm.

As for wheels, yup! I already own a dialed set of '08 Mavic SLR's that would compliment just perfectly.
Along with my Juicy Carbons, XTR Crankset, XT Cassette (All new within 1 month) - Carbon bar.
Well I'm basically ready for a new frame.

I would indeed upgrade the fork to 100mm, from the current 80mm.

Anyway... I'm thinking I might pull the trigger on the $1,496.97 - Price.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I've noticed chainlove cycles through the inventory pretty often, install one of their viewers or write a small script to text you when the item you want comes up. ;) Unless of course you're as impatient as I am, then just BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
slvrathlon said:
Yup, came up again! Well it looks like I lost the $1247 - but they still have an inventory of 11 left @ $1,496.97

Anyway... I'm thinking I might pull the trigger on the $1,496.97 - Price.
If you are patient and use Chainlove's notifier tool (the download that displays the latest offer in the footer of your brower's window), I'll bet you'll see that frame listed for the $1247 price again on Chainlove. I recently bought the RX-1 they were selling for $500 less than on Backcountry, just by watching for it to be offered again. Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.