Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to give a 29er a shot. Picked up a Small Racer X 29er for 850 bucks from backcountry.com outlet... too good to pass up.

Kicking around forks now. I know the RX in a small was designed around a 80mm fork, but I also assume with a 38mm offset.

Will using a 100mm fork, but with a 51mm offset even out the handling? I do not want a floppy feeling bike. Has anyone done this?

Of course, then I'll have to order up some new 15mm axle lowers at some point also.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Been discussed till the cows come home.
Verdict: some like it, some don't...very few have actually tried it.

Part of the 51 offset is supposedly in the lower legs(although I doubt anyone has messured it)...so if you want 15Q...just buy a fork that has that feature.

I have a G2 Fox that I plan on trying on a Leviathan I just built....but honestly, I've been to busy riding and love the DT Swiss that I have on there( that many said was all wrong for the bike....those "many" have never ridden one)

My suggestion:Buy the fork you want..put it on, set it up for you... and ride the crap out of it

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
size asylum?

burner said:
I ran a G2 fox (@ 100mm) on my asylum and loved it.
What size Asylum?

The small RX and Medium Asylum are similar in that they were designed around an 80mm fork i believe.

Thanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I ran a 51mm offset with a different frame...

But it has very similar geometry and suspension design. I have an Evolve and ran the 100mm 51mm offset Fox with it and it was very floppy. Too quick of steering and never felt balanced. I know the frames are different, but that's my two cents for you. Ride it and see how you like it, you can always sell the fork for another. FYI, I started with a 38mm Reba and it steered slow, went to the Fox with 51 mm offset and i was sketched out, finally settled on a fox with the 46mm offset. That has been just perfect.

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks..

What I'm ultimatly trying to figure out is...

since the bike was designed with a 38mm offset and 80mm fork (for the small RX)

will the 51mm offset even out the increased length of a 100mm fork and will the bike steer basically the same.

Years ago when I had a 80mm RacerX ( circa 2000 or so) and I put a 100mm fork on it -it felt floppy. But at that time the fork offset was the same.

So, if every 10mm of fork travel equals about 1deg HT angle then is there a similar ratio for offset increases. I know it comes back to the trail... but relatively speaking.

·
Registered
148 Posts
80 or 100mm per Titus

Below from the Titus site: http://www.titusti.com/titus09/racerx_om.php
SELECTING A FORK:
Your Racer X frame is designed to be used with a front fork that has either 80mm or 100mm (3.14 -3.93") of travel. Selecting the proper fork will keep the head angle, seat angle, and bottom bracket height at their intended settings.

The 'Quick Specs': http://www.titusti.com/titus09/qspecs.php appears to show the SM speced with 490mm A-C length fork (80 reba, possibly), and the M/L speced with a 508 A-C length fork. So, a 100mm F29 (500mm A-C length, as I recall) should be within spec.

I've set up my size SM 2008 RX29 with the F29 at 100 and 80mm--both were fine, though the 80mm allows for easier left-right transitions in the tight OR woods that I ride. Current setup is the F29 at 80mm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts