Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a nice purty Tang MCR frame waiting for me to start to build up when I get back home from my training. I want to know if you should spray rustproofing inside the frame? I live in the northeast but i hardly ever ride when its raining, but i may ride through ankle deep streams and run-off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
lawndart said:
I've got a nice purty Tang MCR frame waiting for me to start to build up when I get back home from my training. I want to know if you should spray rustproofing inside the frame? I live in the northeast but i hardly ever ride when its raining, but i may ride through ankle deep streams and run-off.
You should because current chromo steel bike frame are thin if you compare it to chromo steel of decade ago. Thin because of weight issue. Steel manufacturer wants to compete on weight with alloy frame.

I have also come across frame saver product like Weigle. However, I ended up using a simple solution - linseed oil found at the top of most new paint. It is very effective. I apply the linseed oil on all the frame tube opening and rotate the bike frame in all direction so the linseed oil will be evenly distributed inside your bike frame. Let it dry for several days and apply again for the second time. Two coats in all so that your inner bike tube is fully protected against rust.

Linseed oil is definitely better than commercial product like frame saver because it can easily be applied. Frame saver is rubberized while linseed oil is....oil that can flow easily inside your tube. When it dry, it is as if you have applied a clear coat of paint inside your bike frame. A rubberized coat will have problem in inserting seat post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.