Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys, my stumpjumper fsr 07 had corrosion forming around the right hand rear drop out. It seams to be coming from the small drain hole just in front of the quick release, and has lifted the paint off. Has anyone else seen this ? Not sure if Spec would considre this warranty.
My mates stumpy is starting to do the same thing. Your thought would be welcome.

Thanks,
Paddy73

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Purple Violet Bicycle

Bicycle part Purple Violet Bicycle accessory Bicycle

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wash the bike with water only and then dry it. Corrosion on aluminium is white. The corrosion started from inside the hole.
I gotta take the bike in soon for some other stuff to get done, so I will get them to check it. Was just curious if some one else had the same problem.

·
dreaming of bottlerockets
315 Posts
Aluminium corrosion is generally harmless, and actually forms a protective layer which prevents the aluminium from further corrision.

If cleaned off, the layer will reform again. The corrision is likely only a thin layer on the surface of the aluminium, and probably isn't affecting structural strength.

Just keep on riding. I would be surprised if Specialized warrantied the frame for some chipped paint.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Aluminum reacts with oxygen very quickly and forms an aluminum oxide layer on the surface of bare aluminum (which is why welding aluminum requires TIG). Aluminum is thus protected by its own natural forming skin. Are you sure that's corrosion? There are a couple of aluminum frames that just come polished with no paint at all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's likely harmless, just surface oxidation as the others have mentioned. You can touch it up with automobile laquer from Autozone or the like. Get the little tube that roughly matches the color, not the aerosol. Clean it with denatured alcohol and touch it up, easy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah its definately corrosion. I showed the pics to a painter and he said its the aluminium is oxidising (white and powdery). He also said that touching it up wil only be short term as it will come back unless treated properly.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Get in touch with Specialized for some touch-up paint, or get a close match from a paint store, then use a coarse wire wool to remove the loose paint and existing oxidation. You could even just remove all of the paint from within that whole recessed area at the dropout. Using a very fine wire wool, clean and polish the area, then use alcohol or methylated spirits to clean it again. Mask the good stuff and then prime and paint the cleaned section.

My Big Hit frame is completely stripped and polished, has been for months. The polished aluminium has not oxidised at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.