Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPS came today a brought me a custom SS frame which I snagged on Ebay a couple weeks ago. The frame was made by a reputable builder about a year and a half ago but was never built up or ridden It was just sitting in the box it came in accorcing to the guy who sold it to me. Could condensation under foam pipe wrap cause this?

Anyway, I pulled it out of the box and within seconds I notice some flaws in the paint that look like bubbles. I sratched at a couple with my thumbnail and one just flaked off revealing bare metal the next one revealed rust that was already starting to pit into the frame, completely sealed under the paint. What causes this?

The builder used to powdercoat his frames but has recently started giving them nice paint jobs. I had heard that his earlier frames had ugly paint jobs but I've never heard anything about them failing or rusting from under the paint.

I contacted the seller and said I'm getting and estimate to blast and recoat the frame, I hope he will at least help me out with that cost. Am I correct that this should solve the problem?

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are a couple pics

The pic I took showing where I chipped it off and revealed rust was real blurry, but these give a good idea of what I'm dealing with. The 2nd picture has some weird discoloration and/or corrosion by the guide with what looks like another color of green?

Attachments

·
FIFI!
130 Posts
looks like the vulture, which i'm jealous of.

also looks like it wasn't a new frame and it's been repainted, which would explain the different color of green and would most definately explain the surface rust underneath the new layer of paint.

they did terrible paint prep. sorry man hope you work out a deal with the seller.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks new really

I cant find any evidence that it was ever built up, the head tube and EBB appear virgin, and the green by the guide looks like if anything it is on top of the main color. When something looks too good to be true........it often is. I'm thinking that bad prep is the case, but I think this is the origional paint. If it was acid dipped it may not have been rinsed well.....something like that. I'm no expert in that field.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Bubbling paint

It looks to me like residual flux may not have been cleaned off the frame adequately after the cable guide was brazed on. If the paint is bad at these localized areas where brazing was performed, that would be my guess. Even if the frame is sand blasted, these areas that were brazed should be neutralized before painting. Good luck. Contact Cyclart in San Diego for their opinion.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is mostly by brazed areas

blsuedeshu said:
Even if the frame is sand blasted, these areas that were brazed should be neutralized before painting. Good luck. Contact Cyclart in San Diego for their opinion.
You are probably right, it seems like that would have been SOP for a painter or powdercoater. I just hope there is no serious damage the the integrity of the frame under there. On the up side, I can change the color, something bright I'm thinking.

·
Registered
545 Posts
That photo looks horrible, there's cancer under that paint :mad:

It looks like the frame was not properly prepared before painting. If that much care was taken with the paint, how about the care taken with the actual frame building?

I wouldn't trust it. Even if you strip it back to bare metal and repaint it, what is the quality and the penetration of the welds (or brazing).

Put it in your museum of horrors, and get another frame.

·
FIFI!
130 Posts
datako said:
I wouldn't trust it. Even if you strip it back to bare metal and repaint it, what is the quality and the penetration of the welds (or brazing).

Put it in your museum of horrors, and get another frame.
eh, i disagree. i did autobody for about 6 years, that is not a huge deal at all. things like that happen all the time. most builders will atleast recognize it though before putting it up on the market. bead blast the thing and powdercoat or paint it, done. even with the price of that added onto the frame you still got a helluva deal.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Weaver said:
eh, i disagree. i did autobody for about 6 years, that is not a huge deal at all. things like that happen all the time. most builders will atleast recognize it though before putting it up on the market. bead blast the thing and powdercoat or paint it, done. even with the price of that added onto the frame you still got a helluva deal.
Don't worry, we're not disagreeing, just talking at cross purposes. I agree it can be refinished and look really good. What I was trying to get across is that anyone that sloppy with their paint job has probably been sloppy elsewhere. Therefore you should be really suspicious of the quality of the structure of the bike - eg crappy welds with negligible penetration, or improper heat treatment, or any of several other frame breaking shortcuts.

At the very least the stripped frame should be checked over by an expert. By the time you have done this, you will incurred extra expenses. That is why I say chuck it now and save your money for a new frame.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Off for new powdercoat!

Well I took the frame in to Olympic today. First I took a run over to The Path to find a rigid fork to go with it. The concensus is that it was caused by flux residue like blsuedeshu thought.

The frame looks like it will be fine under the paint, the rust is apparently not deep. I took advantage of the opportunity to round off and reduce the size of the cable guides and do some clean up on the fork with my dremel. I may get it back in time to put it together next weekend. The good news is I like this color better and the fork will match. It still sucks to have to repaint a new frame. I'll have to contact the builder for some new decals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.