Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

After months of searching I found the bike I’m looking for at the price I want. 2018 Stumpjumper 6Fattie. $2500 CAD. Bike looks literally immaculate, but the top of the frame has two spots that look like they’re rusting. Would this be a deal breaker for you guys? The frame is alloy. I’m really inexperienced with this stuff so would love some input.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,207 Posts
Since aluminum doesn't rust, unless it's dented hard enough to become a structural issue it's not a problem. Someone probably used a magic marker to touch up a couple dings in the frame before selling.

When people do stuff like this it makes me wonder what else is being covered up, but I'm naturally cautious buying used stuff anyway so take that last bit with a grain of salt.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,598 Posts
Since aluminum doesn't rust, unless it's dented hard enough to become a structural issue it's not a problem. Someone probably used a magic marker to touch up a couple dings in the frame before selling.

When people do stuff like this it makes me wonder what else is being covered up, but I'm naturally cautious buying used stuff anyway so take that last bit with a grain of salt.
That's exactly what this looks like.

My preference is for using clear nail polish on spots like this to keep the paint from flaking off more. Also a wise thing to do for carbon, to ensure that water doesn't get into any exposed fibers and make matters worse.

·
ACHOO
4,497 Posts
I assume the pics were provided by the seller? (The first, right next to the garbage bag is a classy touch.)

I wouldn't be too worried about it, but the larger ding (somewhat in the shadows conveniently) is a weird shape. Hard to sort out how that would happen - I'd almost expect a dent.

There's also a chance that this is a "blem" or "blemished" frame. I'd see these more in carbon, but the idea is that something comes out of manufacturing that doesn't look ideal, but isn't structurally limiting to the bike itself. These can sometimes be sold in-house, or perhaps are meant to be "discarded", but are kept by someone.

Is the seller the original owner, and has the receipt? Just curious.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.