Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't ridin' for many years and just recently got back into it. Decided to tear my back down and rebuild and discovered rust through on my seat post above the BB.. depression :(

93' Yo, original owner. Can this be repaired?

·
Retro Grouch
132 Posts
Hi,

search for an local framebuilder. Fat Chance Bikes, as desirable they are, are known to rust through. If you are in Europe, gleiss-rahmenbau.de made several seat tube replacements on Yo Eddys and did an great job replacing the cracked seat tube and rusted downtube on my Yeti FRO. In USA I would ask IF Bikes if they repair Fat City Bikes or maybe Chris Herting of 3D Cycles in Durango, who's also known for doing frame repairs. But after all, most local framebuilder can repair your Yo Eddy and replace the seat tube.

Greetings,

Michael

·
Registered
676 Posts
Wished I could help you with some adresses in the States, but as I am from Holland I don´t.

Question: Is there already a hole now in the tube or can you only see some rusty surfaces in the tube? If the last is the case it probably would be sufficient to use some anti rust grease.

Are you able to read some German? If yes, try this link. It will inform you on what are the best means to kill(read: slow) the rustmonster.

http://www.citroen.ac/downloads/2002_10046_Rost.pdf

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,726 Posts
Waterford also does repairs

The quality of their work is excellant. Your bike would truely be better than new. Unfortunately good work doesnt come cheap.

·
Illuminati
1,728 Posts
FATs!

hi mate

check out www.fatcogs.com , maybe somebody on there who could help you :)
FATs were sealed @ the bottom bracket. the water trickled in down the seatube & had no where to escape. hence the rust problem.

ta

scant

1 - 8 of 8 Posts