Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working with Russ for a while now and I have been looking forward to getting a couple of steel hardtail's made. For those of you who dont know who Russ is. Here is a link:
http://davesbikeblog.blogspot.com/2007/09/russ-denny.html
Russ is the man, old school and pure quality. He's built bikes for the best!
Anyways, I asked Russ to build my wife and I a couple of functional steel race bikes. Whaaalaa ( ? spell )
These 2 frames are magic They are fillet brazed with top quality steel. It was almost a shame to powdercoat them. The welds are so clean, they almost look like carbon. Plus I love the hardcore steel headbadge. Russ has been out to a bunch of my races to show off his stuff. He'll be out at the 12 Hour in June as well. If your out and about make sure to stop by and check out his stuff.
The bikes are built now and I'll post up some pics in a couple of days. The pink bike has new neon green Spinergy wheels and a bunch of green accents. The Blue bike has an American theme, with red and white spoked Spinergy wheels and a bunch of red white and blue accents.
They ride amazing and really show off the craftmanship from Russ!
The pics arent that great, I'll do better with the finished bike pics.
Had to share!!!!!!

Quick shout out to Jason who powdercoated the frames - great job!

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Nice looking frames.

Question for the pros on these two photos... What's going on here with the tack fit up? Is this a simple no flux braze tack, or is this something else? (TIG tack up, or even oxy/acetylene weld tack up?)

thanx, zip.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Congrats. But how do you know they ride amazing if you haven't finished building them up yet?

·
Randomhead
1,183 Posts
nice looking bikes. Turns out that "Whaaalaa" is spelled "voila"

Looks like a tig tack, reasonably common among those who have a tig

·
Registered
725 Posts
TIG tacks as was said.

Couple of framebuilding bits. Notice how he filed off a tiny bit on the tips of the DT where it intersects the ST? Those burn away really easy during welding and it sometimes helps to not have those sharp points.

When I did TIG weld much I liked to do a full circumference weld on the ST then miter off those tips and attach the DT later. 50 ways to leave your lover you know......many ways to make a bike.

Critique is I would have liked to see him slot the SS to join the drop-out. That is an old school trick to speed things up but I always disliked it..

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sorry if I was a bit subtle in my questions. The question is, why would anyone invest in a TIG machine so they could then flame braze a frame together? So they could tack with the TIG and then flame braze over the tacks? Look at the first original posting.. there are specific comments about fillet brazing technique. Its hard to tell from the finished photos, but that top tube to downtube joint sure looks fillet brazed to me (see photo #6, pink bike)

Dave, you observation about the tube corner cutoff would suggest a fully TIG welded frame. Dave, look too at the few views of the completed painted frame.. it almost looks as if the SS to dropouts have been formed into a semi spherical shape.

What I'm trying to understand here, is the builder TIG'ing the whole thing together, then using braze, silver solder (or heck even bondo) to smooth out the joints, or is he tacking with TIG and then using a fillet braze everwhere? The original posting indicated a fillet braze. Not that it matters, I'm not trying to be critical of a beautiful piece of work, I'm just trying to understand the root concepts of frame building.

Many thanks,
zip

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bike review

Good stuff here! Way more technical than I understand.

I thought Fillet brazing was a whole different form of welding. But now I did a bit of research and I like it. Russ told me I would.

Anyways I put the bikes together yesterday early and rode them in the evening. Right now they are setup up full XTR. I am just waiting for the color coded parts to come in and I'll swap pieces.

Anyways I really like the bikes and I like how they were done!:thumbsup:

Tom wud up homey! see you soon!

·
Registered
714 Posts
zipzit said:
The question is, why would anyone invest in a TIG machine so they could then flame braze a frame together? So they could tack with the TIG and then flame braze over the tacks?
You may remember I did that on my SS when I put the hose guides on it. Tacking with a TIG torch for something that is going to be fillet brazed makes it a lot easier (to me).

Some folks just like the way a fillet looks compared to TIG. I'm not one of them (at least not for a MTB frme), but there are folks that are into that. Road frame, I could see doing a fillet brazed frame for myself one day. But TIG has my interest at the moment.

Dave, so those chainstays are notched to accept the dropouts and then welded on the back side? Is that the old school trick you're talking about? It appears that the same technique wasn't used on the SS.

·
Who turned out the lights
1,127 Posts
I know some builders will tig tack in the fixture and then fillet braze the joint. It makes for a little faster way to get the frame tacked up.

Jay, I don't believe he notched the stays (at least the seat stays). I believe he simply "stuffed" the dropouts into the stays and tacked them up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts