Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering upgrading the crankset on my Rush 800 with something a bit fancier, but the trouble is everything I've looked at is getting horrible reviews. First, the new Crankbrothers Cobalt SL, which apparently has a troublesome BB, then the Race Face Deus XC, which has some quality control issues, and finally the XTR M-960, which has premature chainring wear and left arm cracking issues. So do you guys know of any options? What have your experiences been with your cranksets?

·
Registered
538 Posts
xt m760s on my prophet have held up really well. they're light and stiff. way easier to set up than raceface. can find em cheap too.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Go XT. In fact I wish Cannondale would go Shimano on all of their stock cranks. I got the Deore on my F300. IMHO, I think they are probably the best entry level crank there is (I know others will disagee).

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, 3 votes for the XTs and I'll have to seriously consider them. The Cobalts are feathery light and that was my first choice, but I am a bigger rider and have to take wear into consideration. Thanks for your help guys. :)

PS: What about FSA carbon and Cdale Hollowgram cranks? Do they work any better and how are the Cdale prices?

·
Good For You
407 Posts
XTs are the best deal, they are relatvely light weight, dont cost a lot, have quality rings, easy to install, and durable. The reason a lot of people dont get them is becuase they arent "bling". They probably wouldnt look good on an '07 Rush 5000SL :skep: . That being said, I have the FSA carbon (because I got a good deal on a used pair from my friend). They are great cranks, easy install, great chainrings, and the carbon looks nice too. They weigh close to what the XTs weigh though.

You cant go with the Cannondale hollowgram cranks, they dont work with the standard frame BB cups.

·
Ride Everything
2,913 Posts
TalonSL said:
Okay, 3 votes for the XTs and I'll have to seriously consider them. The Cobalts are feathery light and that was my first choice, but I am a bigger rider and have to take wear into consideration. Thanks for your help guys. :)

PS: What about FSA carbon and Cdale Hollowgram cranks? Do they work any better and how are the Cdale prices?
I'm 215#, and I have no flex issues with Cobalts. I was all set to get XT's, but the q-factor is just too damn wide for me.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The_Boy: Don't worry, this Rush 5000SL thing is me just fooling around. :D It's actually an '06 Rush 3000 BTC frame I got under warranty that I am custom building. The XT would actually match it better in a way. :) The newer FSA's are lighter than the XTR I'm told, but more expensive.

Mark: I think it was NS2000X, but I'm not sure, who said that the Cobalts use an outdated BB system, ISIS I think. I'm worried about this because I am 190 and have had BB problems with other bikes in the past. As far as I know the cranks themselves are alright, but the BB may have problems. I'll look more into it, but most likely I'll go XT for the good deal. :)

·
USED2COULD
1,274 Posts
TalonSL said:
Mark: I think it was NS2000X, but I'm not sure, who said that the Cobalts use an outdated BB system, ISIS I think. I'm worried about this because I am 190 and have had BB problems with other bikes in the past. As far as I know the cranks themselves are alright, but the BB may have problems. I'll look more into it, but most likely I'll go XT for the good deal. :)
It was me, ISIS was a great idea but took too many years to bear fruit. When products finally were available a giant leap in crank - BB technology was just around the corner.
When the corner was turned even RaceFace, one of the primes in the development of ISIS moved on to the X-Type cranksets (same principle as the Shimano's).

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Another vote for XT. Stiff, light, durable, shifts great. The only issue I have with them is that the little plastic cap to preload the bearings is easy to break but it's probably designed that way, it's better to break that than crush the bearings.

The Cobalt crankset is fine but like you said, ISIS is outdated and has had the shortest lifespan of all BB standards for a reason. They just dont last and a lot of people have had many problems with it. Some ISIS BB are worst than others but I'd rather go with a standard that is superior (more durable, stiffer and lighter). I just don't get why Crank Brothers went with ISIS for a crankset that was introduced after everyone found out how ISIS is no good...

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Dan Gerous said:
Another vote for XT. Stiff, light, durable, shifts great. The only issue I have with them is that the little plastic cap to preload the bearings is easy to break but it's probably designed that way, it's better to break that than crush the bearings.

The Cobalt crankset is fine but like you said, ISIS is outdated and has had the shortest lifespan of all BB standards for a reason. They just dont last and a lot of people have had many problems with it. Some ISIS BB are worst than others but I'd rather go with a standard that is superior (more durable, stiffer and lighter). I just don't get why Crank Brothers went with ISIS for a crankset that was introduced after everyone found out how ISIS is no good...
Yes this is really frustrating, especially since they are such nicely machined and lightweight cranksets. I really don't know whey they didn't go all the way and use the newer X-type. My goal was to make my Rush lighter than the Carbon Rush by using lighter cranks, tires, bars, saddle, seatpost, and wheels, but durability and reliability must come first.

I also considered some of the nice FSA carbons, but I have an FSA carbon on my road bike and they scratch really easily and look like crap really fast. I've also looked at some Truvativs, but info is scarce on them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i hear you talon, im trying to get my rush alloy into the featherweight class, but ill be happy when i reach 11.5 kilos, cos i too am a bigger rider ( 85kgs) and dont want the damn thing folding under me. i have to say go the XTs, i just got mine of ebay, for 220 australian dollars. and i must say they are incredibly stiff and lightweight. esp compared to the FSA cranks that came on the bike. i dont know why Crank bros went with what could be considered obso;ete technology but that said i havent had any problems with ISIS. i just went the XTs for the price to weight and the Bike Bling factor of being able to see through my bottom bracket. (shallow i know but so what)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nachtjager said:
i hear you talon, im trying to get my rush alloy into the featherweight class, but ill be happy when i reach 11.5 kilos, cos i too am a bigger rider ( 85kgs) and dont want the damn thing folding under me. i have to say go the XTs, i just got mine of ebay, for 220 australian dollars. and i must say they are incredibly stiff and lightweight. esp compared to the FSA cranks that came on the bike. i dont know why Crank bros went with what could be considered obso;ete technology but that said i havent had any problems with ISIS. i just went the XTs for the price to weight and the Bike Bling factor of being able to see through my bottom bracket. (shallow i know but so what)
Nothing wrong with a little bling, just as long as it looks good. I was considering some I9 wheels in nice anodized blue if I can afford them. I definitely want a Lefty Carbon SL though. The biggest problem for me is not only my weight, but my height because I am almost 6' 5", which requires an XL frame that spreads everything out and I need to adjust the seat back all the way. For the most part this little project is just the little rebel in me trying to stick it to the Carbon Rush because I love aluminum so much. :p

·
Registered
89 Posts
yeah the new truvative noirs also look good,however im chuffed with the xts. tell me about it talon, i bought an XL as well because i am 6'4' and the xl still feels a little small withoiut a layback post.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I posted a couple poor-quality pics in another thread, and the seatpost is just set ridiculously high. When I was shopping for bikes I even considered an XL Prophet because of my height and weight alone and was afraid of cracking the Rush. So far no problems to report though. :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Cannondale4Life said:
If one were to remove the stock FSA crank and go with a XT crank do you need to change any other parts (bottem bracket)?
Yeah.. you would have to get an Octalink BB to replace the ISIS if you go with XT.

·
Registered
89 Posts
not if they are the new( since 04 Hollowtech 2 cranks. the bb is included and is of the external cup type. the cranks themselves are joined by the massivley stiff cromo axle and splines. progress report on my xts is that they have truly transformed the ride of the bike, from efficient to super efficient. thoe fsa's feel like a wet sponge in comparison

1 - 20 of 30 Posts