Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I like to ride my bicycle
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just had my 2007 Rush fitted with a 650B front wheel. I retained the original Lefty hub and built the wheel from a Stans ZTR 355 rim and DT spokes.

I also ride a custom-built rigid 29er singlespeed which fits like a glove. Getting back onto the Rush I felt the front end was too low and the kiddy-sized wheels and suspension fork just bogged down on logs etc! The Rush also has a low bottom bracket so I'm hoping that the bigger front wheel will help to fix all these problems. I haven't had a ride on the trails yet since I'm nursing a bung knee, but might get out this Thursday night.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
That looks great. Please post up more of your thoughts after some miles. I recently picked up a -05 rush 600 that had less than 100 miles on it with the intention of trying 650b. Just waiting now for Stans availability.

Again, looks great!

·
Registered
256 Posts
john, how does your rush ride? im looking at changing my Prophet front end to a 650 and would like to hear how the conversion went. I just got a 2010 pbr 140 and i was wondering do i need to put in a spacer to run this larger wheel? and do you notice a slower steering or turn in? also can you tell your front contact patch is larger and do you have better braking traction with this larger tire? and also do you notice that you can get up and over objects on the trail easier? any info would be great.

karl

·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys,

I've had three good rides on the Rush. It's all good news. In my opinion, the bigger front wheel has made the Rush the bike it should be. Before, the bike just wasn't working for me, now it feels great. The rollover-ability is improved, as is the riding position. It just feels much better.

No negatives - I don't notice that the steering or turn-in are slower, although technically they would be by a very small margin. The higher bottom bracket can only be good, since the Rush always had a too-low BB, but I don't really notice the difference since I've learnt to ride around this. I have much more confidence in the front end when cornering, due to both the bigger contact patch and the higher front end - keep in mind though that I've also replaced a half-worn old style Racing Ralph with a brand new grippier design Ralph.

·
Registered
256 Posts
did you have to limit the travel of your lefty fork at all? and did you have to adjust the pressure in your rear shock to deal with the increased weigh on your back tire. im assuming that a taller front wheel will change the front to back weight balance? let me know. also some people say you carry more speed with a larger wheelset. do you notice a difference?
sorry for the questions its just that i ride with guys on 29er hard tails all day and im looking to get more roll over ability and speed with out having to resort to my trials tricks on the trial.

karl

·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't have to touch the Lefty. I didn't adjust the shock pressure either, I have it set fairly firmly anyway, but I guess technically there is a little more weight on the rear.

I do notice the bike rolls faster, but I've changed from the standard equipment very ordinary wheelset to a nice light wheelset, so it would be faster anyway. I certainly notice that my rigid 29er rolls fabulously well. Is it because of the bigger wheels alone? Who knows? Frankly I'm not one to notice every tiny little difference, nor do I fiddle a lot with tyre and shock pressures, I just ride (and sometimes pinchflat as a result...). I just know what works for me. The 650B front wheel on the Rush has changed the bike from one that just wasn't working to one that works really well and I'm enjoying a lot more. I also love my 29er to bits. Big wheels, no suspension and one gear: it just works.

I won't be putting a 650B on the rear. I do like the idea, but I want to keep the improved riding position from a higher front end.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for the good input on the handling and the bb height increase. I have to start looking into which rim to get. I currently have mavic 819 and I would like a tubless 650b rim that is just as strong and stiff as the mavic 819 ust.

·
High Alpine Adventure
1,842 Posts
John© said:
I won't be putting a 650B on the rear. I do like the idea, but I want to keep the improved riding position from a higher front end.
I like what I'm hearing, so why not do this!

What I'm eying is taking a Rush and putting a 130Max on it. This will give you a geometry similar to what you have with the B6er but with an even higher BB Height. I'd like to get it up close to 13.5", but that may be wishing too much.

So you don't have issues with the slacker front end?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.