Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying something new, in past years I did the Friel thing in the winter - weights and base miles on the road till spring- for '10 I'm going to run and xc ski until early spring then head to the hills on the bike
Might be a mistake I dunno. It "feels right " and is alot more fun than slogging away in the cold and slush on the roads
FWIW I was a solid top 5 cat 2 guy last year going to cat 1
opinions anyone?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Running is fun and running feels good and running is a concise more bang for your buck workout, but running is not cycling. So, I would suggest supplementing your workout regime with running in the dark months to include variety. But by solely running you're going to be working out the wrong muscles for cycling.

My $.02

·
Registered
317 Posts
Cross training can be a great way to take a break both physically and mentally from the repetitive stress placed on the same muscle groups for long durations of time while still maintaining a relative level of fitness. Just be sure to give yourself time to get back into “cycling shape” and you should be fine. You may find that you come back stronger in the long run.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
upstatesspdr said:
Trying something new, in past years I did the Friel thing in the winter - weights and base miles on the road till spring- for '10 I'm going to run and xc ski until early spring then head to the hills on the bike
Might be a mistake I dunno. It "feels right " and is alot more fun than slogging away in the cold and slush on the roads
FWIW I was a solid top 5 cat 2 guy last year going to cat 1
opinions anyone?
Why not do everything plus add some skiing and running? Lift weights 3 times a week, run or ski twice a week and bike a bit. Throw in some yoga and core work and you're good.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had a coach last year (2009) who had me on the bike 3 days a week and running twice a week from Dec. until end of March. I went from having a great 2008 season doing my normal off-season cycling training to the worst season ever in 2009 as I was never able to find my "bike fitness" especially in the early Spring races. Felt strong and fit running but didn't transfer to cycling fitness.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
ptcutch said:
I had a coach last year (2009) who had me on the bike 3 days a week and running twice a week from Dec. until end of March. I went from having a great 2008 season doing my normal off-season cycling training to the worst season ever in 2009 as I was never able to find my "bike fitness" especially in the early Spring races. Felt strong and fit running but didn't transfer to cycling fitness.
agree - run or ski for a change of pace, but be specific, if you want to be fast on the bike, you need to ride the bike, at least 2 or 3 times a week.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kevbikemad said:
agree - run or ski for a change of pace, but be specific, if you want to be fast on the bike, you need to ride the bike, at least 2 or 3 times a week.
Yeah, sounds logical to me. I was planning on starting road riding again in Feb - first race of importance is in early April. I usually do some early road races just for fun in late March so we'll see

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
In the past I've done lots of cross training (XC ski, snowshoe, & running) with the indoor cycling.

This year I'm doing lots of cycling-only base miles, and cycling specific weight lifting.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Indoor base miles are tough. If this is what is takes to win, I'd almost rather go back to my normal losing ways :).

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Poncharelli said:
In the past I've done lots of cross training (XC ski, snowshoe, & running) with the indoor cycling.

This year I'm doing lots of cycling-only base miles, and cycling specific weight lifting.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Indoor base miles are tough. If this is what is takes to win, I'd almost rather go back to my normal losing ways :).
I hear you there, It'll pay off when the season starts though

I will let you guys know how it goes here too

·
Registered
410 Posts
I disagree that it running won't translate to cycling. I race pro XC here in CO and all I do from mid October to March 1st is run and strength train. And guess what when I get back on the bike in March guess who is the most fit out of my other pro riding buddies? Yeah that's right me...This is just my personal experience but I feel that you can really make your body and mind strong from solid running training in the offseason. Then when MTB season rolls around again you will have an amazing base built up that you can transfer to cycling.

·
Registered
203 Posts
this is what i love about this site. opinions are plentiful!!!!!!
and i love it.....
I personally run a few days a week along with indoor training when i can
my schedule is:
run 3-5 times week 5K as fast as i can
ride 2-3 times week usually do the CTS Mtb training video.

but im no real racer. this is the first year ive trained. and i dropped 30# since aug.09
from 198# to 167#. I'm not sure if the training will help for racing but I it's been great for my waistline:)

but opinions are like a-holes, you know the rest!!!!
good luck and happy racing:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Have went back to 5-6 days on the bike this winter with power based training and am noticing significant improvement from last year when I was running twice a week. Come from collegiate XC running background so no lack of intensity with my running but no transfer to bike fitness. Each to their own me thinks?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.