Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running Bontrager RXL wheels and have recently purchased a pair of Racing Ralphs for key events. Looking forward to airing em up tubeless tonight. I have read the forums but was wandering if anyone has any experience with the RR and Bontrager rims. Also, I would appreciate hearing any experiences or tips airing the RR up tubeless. Thanks!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Identical set up for me, RXLs with RRs. Front aired with compressor no problem, no leaks, still going strong three months later. Rear, also aired up with compressor fine, but had pinhole leaks at seam between tread rubber and sidewall rubber. They eventually sealed, and it has been pretty trouble free for the past few months until the last few days. I am getting more weeping along that same seam and it is losing 15 psi in a few hours. I am going to add some more Stans and let it lay on its side for a while to see if that helps. I am planning on replacing the rear with the Snakeskin one anyway, but would like another month or so from current rear.

I have also sealed them with a floor pump, but it is a little more work.

Performance wise the RR is the about the best all around tire I can think of for the riding and racing in my area (Salt Lake City, Utah).

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
I was able to get in on the first batch of 2.4 RRs to hit the US shores and immediately mounted them tubeless to Stan's Arch rims on my Ventana. They did take an air compressor to get them seated and some liberal shaking to get them fully sealed; the sidewalls are pretty leaky. They went flat over the winter and I re-applied another scoop of sealant apiece via injector through the valve stems and they sealed right back up. They ride incredibly tubeless and work pretty well around here too.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had a set tubeless on dusters with rimstrips, seated one bead with a tube then the other with a floor pump. sealed with 100mL or so of sealent but the sealent dried up and both started to leak after 6 weeks or so and I had to add more. The rode ok tubeless but the front felt unstable under 25psi. I have since had unsealable punctures in both tires and am now running light (130g) 26" tubes in both tires. In my opinion the front is better with a tube, the rear is about equal with maybe a slight nod to the tubeless. I can go to a lower pressure up front with a tube 23 instead of 25 and still have less squirm, in the rear its 26-28 either way (im 190ish). All in all the tubeless was not worth it ill be sticking with tubes from here on out.
Other than that the tires are awesome in everything except sticky mud where they pack up

·
Registered
529 Posts
carlhulit said:
I had a set tubeless on dusters with rimstrips, seated one bead with a tube then the other with a floor pump. sealed with 100mL or so of sealent but the sealent dried up and both started to leak after 6 weeks or so and I had to add more. The rode ok tubeless but the front felt unstable under 25psi. I have since had unsealable punctures in both tires and am now running light (130g) 26" tubes in both tires. In my opinion the front is better with a tube, the rear is about equal with maybe a slight nod to the tubeless. I can go to a lower pressure up front with a tube 23 instead of 25 and still have less squirm, in the rear its 26-28 either way (im 190ish). All in all the tubeless was not worth it ill be sticking with tubes from here on out.
Other than that the tires are awesome in everything except sticky mud where they pack up
Different results for me (about 190 lbs as well).

My 2.4 Ralphs have been absolutlely awesome. For the weight, all round performance, and volume, they've been quite durable.

I run them on Stan's Flow rims at about 18-20 psi front and rear. Anything less and the tire feels squirmy, and anything more the tire tend to be more vulnerable to sidewalls tears and be less supple. Rim width and design plays a large role in ideal psi.

Having said that, I have had 2 flats in the past year which a tube couldn't have prevented. I did the typical trail-side repair and used a tube and hated it. Even at the same psi, the front felt more like a basketball (undampened rebound) than a tubeless tire.

·
Registered
562 Posts
carlhulit said:
I did find that for me I preferred 2 or 3 more psi for both front and rear (tubeless) with the RRs compared to the Bonty ACX tires I was running before. I am around 180 lbs (29 psi in rear and 26-27 psi in front).

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've got the 2.4 in the front and the 2.25 snakeskin in the rear on Stan's arches. Both aired up with a floor pump with no problem and neither of them wept a single drop and have held their pressure over the last three weeks. I'm running 20ish in the front and 25-28 in the rear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts