Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Canfield Tilt, Cervelo R3, Pinarello Fixie
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife is running Nobby Nic 27.5 2.8's on her Pony Rustler. We're wondering if we can step it down to 27.5 2.5's? Or would that cause a problem with pedal strikes? The bike originally came with 27.5 3.0's when it was new.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
My wife is running Nobby Nic 27.5 2.8's on her Pony Rustler. We're wondering if we can step it down to 27.5 2.5's? Or would that cause a problem with pedal strikes? The bike originally came with 27.5 3.0's when it was new.
What crank length is she running?

Worst case you could put shorter cranks on.

The Maxxis Rekon 2.8's usually end up being about 2.6" on the rim.

Might be a good option to bring down the width.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’ve got a PR, I am curious what you find out. I already hit my pedals a lot more than expected, so am wondering too. Half an inch might be ok, but they also spec this bike with 29x2.4 so…..who knows. salsa has generally been responsive when I send them questions.

·
Registered
Canfield Tilt, Cervelo R3, Pinarello Fixie
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got a PR, I am curious what you find out. I already hit my pedals a lot more than expected, so am wondering too. Half an inch might be ok, but they also spec this bike with 29x2.4 so…..who knows. salsa has generally been responsive when I send them questions.
Pedal strikes are pretty extreme on the Pony Rustler. Super low BB geometry. I literally had to relearn how to ride my medium PR. My wife is lightweight so it doesn't create as much trouble for her on her small PR.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,955 Posts
Or you could buy yourself some 29" wheels and run "standard" width 29" tires on them.
Salsa calls this bike the Horsethief but in fact it's the same bike as the Pony Rustler, just sold with 29er wheels and different frame decals.
The 29" wheels & tires should go a long way toward eliminating pedal strikes.
=sParty

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
It'll also depend some on the year you are referring to. I'm going to guess 2018ish?
My wife is also on a Pony Rustler, actually her second now. She had the grey alloy one that was 27.5+/29 compatible, and with 27.5x3" she was pedal striking a lot even with a shorter crank that I had around and double offset eyelets that I rotated the opposite way to lift the bike more.
Last year I upgraded her frame to the 2020 Carbon "Rustler" frame, since they dropped the pony from the name. The geometry had changed just enough, most notably the higher BB height for us. I also changed her wheels out at that time, and am currently using 27.5x2.5 Teravail Ehlines - they just barely measure over 2.5" wide, no idea on height. She still has pedal strikes, but not nearly as often as she was on the last bike with the 3" (2.8" measured) tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.