Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Do you change tires regularly based on where you're riding and expected trail conditions?

• No - 1 set, run them until they are bald

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Yes - Change seasonally

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Yes - Change them all the time depending on trails/conditions

Votes: 9 25.7%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read about how much difference tires can make (haven't really experimented myself) but I'm curious how many people just run a single set regardless and how many run multiple sets depending on where they riding, seasons etc...?

For those who do swap tires even seasonally what do you do about sealant, bin it each time you change, or pour whatever's in the set you're removing into the set you're installing?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I only do this on my cross/gravel depending on if its a strict road ride or a mix road/trail. And i have two complete different wheelssets, the road is 700c/29 and trail is 650b/27.5
My dually trail bike tire gets run until worn.
Mounting and unmounting tires would get tired real fast, esp with tubeless.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
My practices don’t really match any of the options, so I didn’t vote.

I experimented with tires last year and the year before, and reached a conclusion:

For standard trail riding on well-travelled trails, I’ll use Maxxis Minion DHR IIs front and rear. I won’t run them bald, but I tend to swap the front to the back so I’ve always got a good one up front. Are there faster rolling, lighter tires? Yes, I tried a bunch of them. They either didn’t have the traction I want or they puncture and pinch easily. I’ll gladly use a heavier, grippier tire so I don’t have to fuss with them all the time. Climbing time matters not a whit to me. I ride fast enough on the ups, and enjoy steep, rowdy downs. If the descent is flat enough that rolling resistance matters, then it’s a trail I don’t care to ride again.😉

For my enduro bike, I run Maxxis Shortys in the spring and fall, when it’s very wet — and Magic Marys everywhere in between. I only swap them when one is worn out though— they are nearly equal in all conditions— the Shorty just has a slight edge in mud.

Whenever I swap tires, I salvage as much sealant as I can, and add about 2 oz of fresh sealant. Typically I wear tires out before they run dry.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
I just keep one set until I want to try something else. I live in an area that does not see much change when the season changes. I can see switching to a set of "winter" tires if the terrain changes enough. At least for me...with the tubeless sealant...it'd be too much of a pain to make frequent changes.

I have more than one bike...so I have the "appropriate" tires for the type of riding on that bike.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I change tires a bit. I also have a second set of wheels, the originals and a light weight set. I change the tires on the light weight set for seasonal variations on the trails and on the original wheels I run commuter tires that are either studded for ice or non studded for the rest of the years commute. I always poor the old sealant into the new tire and usually have to add a little.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I don't change tires much, but I do change wheels. Does that count? My primary wheel/tire combo is 29 x 2.35 and I tend to leave these on until they get worn out or damaged (or I really want to try something new). I also have a 27.5+ wheel/tire set that I throw on when I'm expecting sandy conditions.

·
slow
8,163 Posts
I am basically lazy so I change them as little as possible and tolerate differences in riding terrain and conditions with the same tires. I do make sure that most of my bikes have interchangeable wheelsets, so I can swap wheels to a different set if I really want something different, but I'll usually just grab a different bike rather than swapping wheels.

On the bikes where I run the same size tires front and rear, I usually run them until the back one is bald and then rotate the front to the rear and install a new front. On the bikes with wider front tires, I'll run the back until it is bald and then replace and I'll replace the front at about 35-50% tread. If there is any sealant remaining in the tire I'm replacinng, I'll pour it into the new tire and top off with fresh.

·
Premium Member
8,722 Posts
Count me in using a different bike. Dh bike has the most aggressive, trail bike moderate, hardtail faster rolling. I am in the Northern California Bay Area so we only have dry and goopy, sticky, unridable clay nearby, so no mud tires needed.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,069 Posts
Two of my three bikes each have two wheelsets -- dry season tires on one wheelset and mud season tires on the other.

I didn't vote in the poll because I didn't see an option for changing wheelsets, only for changing tires.

But I guess I do change the tires... insofar as it's different tires whenever I change wheels. :)

Whenever I actually do change a tire, I reuse as much sealant as I can salvage.
=sParty

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,032 Posts
Generally I like to run the same tires all season. I have multiple wheelsets for a few of my bikes though so I'll set up different tires on these wheelsets for different purposes, like racing vs. training, or soft snow vs. hardpack. A few times a year, especially in the winter, I'll change out my tires for specific events/races.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
On my 29+ rig, I run only the one set of tires. Minion DHRII 3.0 up front and Bontrager SE4 3.0 out back.

On my short travel 'moolay' rig, I run Assegai 29x2.5 up front and Dissector 29x2.4 or Aggressor 27.5x2.5 out back.

On my AM HT 29er, for Autumn/Winter & early spring I run 2.5 Vigilante up front and HRII 2.5 on the rear.

For drier months on the HT, I've got 2.6 Dissector paired with a 2.5 Aggressor.

My 650b Enduro rig has a 2.6 Magic Mary on point with a 2.6 Eliminator out back.

I can swap this out for Assegai/Aggressor if things are really dry out or rocky.

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
My tires don’t change all that much honestly.
The same tires that work in the depths of winter here, also work great when it’s dry/dusty/marbley. But I live in the PNW, so it’s more commonly “wet-ish” conditions than it is any other. So I guess I mostly optimize for the wet.

Which I guess means I run the (rear) tires until they are bald (or at least clearly well past their prime). Fronts I’ve changed before they get very worn, but because I am trying new tires, or doing other things like that.

I also don’t do near as much mileage as some of the other people on here. So I don’t typically wear through a tire in a single season. But if I did, I’d absolutely do seasonal tires.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I changed tires a lot to find what suits me at best... my conditions vary from hardpack to soft and loose, to rocky and roots. Different trails location with very different terrain. And also they vary a lot from summer to winter.
I have 2 set of wheels on my trail bike and i plan to have a lighter and a stronger setup... sometimes i combine them.

Front: Dhr 2.4 maxxgrip/maxxterra and Forekaster 2.6 in loamy wet xc trails is a fantastic tire imo (not liked the forekaster 2.35)
Rear: Dissector 2.4 maxxterra/dual and Rekon 2.4 dual

When swapping tires I always reuse sealant adding a little fresh new.
Tires not used are always stocked cleaned(outside from dirt and inside from sealant), on the side, not directly on the humid floor, and keep away from too hot/cold temperature and away from light. Never had a problem reuse a tire the next year. However for me it's difficult that a tire will last more than 2 seasons before it worn out.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I like the idea of having two tire sets or two wheel sets with different tires for different conditions, but i dont feel the need since my tires working really good on every condition - from wet rocks, roots n' mud to dry n' dusty hardpack.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have both wheelset with cassette already installed, they have both dt swiss hubs centerlock. I only swap the centerlock discs from one set to the other.
I also don't need to recenter the caliper...
It's really a 3 minutes job...
Sadly the two wheelsets have really different weights so i keep the faster rolling tires on the lighter set and the more aggressive tires mounted on the heavier wheels.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,818 Posts
I rarely change tires. I have multiple bikes for different conditions. I will swap for big races, often forgetting to swap back out of my race tires, ruining them prematurely while dealing w/ less than ideal grip for all around riding.

I also tend to irreparably damage sidewalls before wearing out tread. When I do swap, I will generally suck the sealant out of the removed tire and put it in the new tire, adding whatever I feel is necessary.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.