Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from the UK.

I'm new to 29 / 29+, coming from 650b & 2.35".

I've just brought a Surly Krampus in small & plan to use it for some off road bikepacking in Wales.

I'm running through a few quandaries at the moment particularly around gearing (tyres & luggage also).

Has anyone here managed to fit a non Surly 2X chainset to a 3" tyred Krampus? I don't have the wheels built or tyres yet to measure up, but wondering if my old square taper Race Face Turbine cranks can do it. I've got the middle ring on the outer position & will space the granny into the middle position, then i need to figure out how wide a BB spindle i need to clear the tyre. Does this sound feasible?

Cheers,
Martin.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Can't help you with the Krampus, but can say when running 29x3.0" on my Unit, I can only run rings in the middle and outer position, on a XT M780 3X crankset with 51mm chainline for the middle ring, standard BB spacing, figure that's about pretty standard for any 29x3.0" setup. Can run a middle ring, but then can't go to anything bigger than the 4th largest cog without it rubbing and using the middle position, still only have about 4mm when in the largest cog. One other important note is that the Unit only has a 135/142 rear, so if you're running the newer Krampus with Gnot Boost and running a 148x12 setup, you should have more clearance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I ran my Krampus Ops 2x10 when I first built it up with 29x3.0. I used a cheap SRAM crankset and X7 derailleurs I had lying around. Setup worked well with no interference anywhere except chain rub in the lowest gear combination. Eventually switched to Shimano SLX 1x11 which has been flawless for years.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Forgot to mention, I ditched the FD within a few rides and just run it like a single speed with a 32 & 36t rings/ I use the 36t ring in the outer position for road riding, commuting to the trails and smooth trails and the 32t for basically any real trails. Both are narrow ride rings, so no problem with chain drop, even on a rigid on the rowdiest of trails.

·
Big wheels keep on rollin
368 Posts
I ran a square taper S-works crankset as a 34-22 double with a 68mm BB on my custom 27.5 x 3" bike and 135mm rear hub. Had no clearance issues at all.

On my new custom 29+ I wenr with an 83mm BB and 148mm rear hub to allow me to fit 3.25 tires with a Raceface double.

mike

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Just finished my Krampus build. Set up with a sram 2x11 drivetrain, boost cranks and a 148 mm rear hub. Works fabo, 26/36up front with a 46/11 out back. You will want to get a problem solvers front der. clamp to space it out correctly. Something like a 19-100 gear inches. Problem solvers also make this great clamp which allows the shimano brake to hold the sram shifter below.

·
XC iconoclast
Church of Real Metal
2,198 Posts
You will *probably* run into tire/front derailleur cage interference issues. But maybe not if you space things out far enough.

I'd just invest $200 into a GX 1x drivetrain if I were you.

-Walt
Maybe you can get a GX drivetrain for $200, but an individual that doesn't have a discount with SRAM is going to pay $450-500 for one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.