Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to a study made public this week by the Georgia Institute of Technology, high levels of anandamide (a naturally produced cannaboid molecule know to produce same effects as THC) were found in people who ran or cycled at a moderate rate for about an hour.

I do not condone nor condemn marijuana. I guess if I liked it, I would condone it and I know a lot of people on both sides. But back to this study...

I experience 'runners high' on most longer/exertive rides but I do not ride to achieve a runner's high. I agree that it is a nice side effect. I'm curious what you think:

Questions:
1. From your experience, do you believe the results of this study?
2. Is it safe to drive a vehicle after a long ride? :)
3. Does the war on drugs now include runners and MTBers? :)

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
AZClydesdale said:
According to a study made public this week by the Georgia Institute of Technology, high levels of anandamide (a naturally produced cannaboid molecule know to produce same effects as THC) were found in people who ran or cycled at a moderate rate for about an hour.

Questions:
1. From your experience, do you believe the results of this study?
2. Is it safe to drive a vehicle after a long ride? :)
3. Does the war on drugs now include runners and MTBers? :)
1- I absolutely can confirm the results of this study. I have spent years studying the effects of cannabinoids on my brain, and I can attest to the fact that while the buzz from a good workout is different, it is just as pleasurable as the other "natural high".
2- Some people would debate whether canabinoids greatly affect driving ability, but I can definitely testify that if i've worked hard enough to enjoy that Runner's high, I am usually too tired to be a safe driver. This is from sheer exhaustion after a ride, not from the buzz. The warm glow inside may be the only thing that keeps me awake on the drive home from the trailhead sometimes. Either way, its safer than drinking and driving, or getting head while driving.
3- The war on drugs targets anyone who is labeled a "subversive" and I would say MTBers are clearly subversive. That aside, Since many MTBers puff, we have already been targets in this drug war.

Just think what this world would be like if someone started selling Anandamide!!! I doubt it would help with the obesity epidemic, but maybe it would bring those oldschool supershort running shorts back into style. What Joy!!

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Time for a safety check...;-)

1. Maybe...but there are other chemicals in the body created during exercise that may have a different overall effect on the brain that when you sit around and lite up. I don't see it as justifying anything. Moderation should always be applied.

2. It's ALWAYS Unsafe to drive!!! Cars R coffins!

3. What is the War on drugs anyway?...a simple political appeasment ot the perceived moral majority.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts