Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running this?. I have been running a Pushed DHX coil on my RFX for the fast few years with good success, but wondering what the RP23 is like, "Pushed" on the Rune? Especially since the two bikes use totally different suspension designs/ratios. Probably just going to keep my Rune all air for the trails, runs and jumps and keep the RFX all coil for the rock gardens and gnar come summer, so any upgrades I can do with the stock air for better small bump sensitivity and better dampening overall is well received.

Thanks,

Jon

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
I have been talking with allen from dropnzone and he said that they are talking with fox to get a rune specific rp23. they said the current ones are too progressive with the runes already progressive nature. could be interesting to follow up on. He posts here under the name Chad Monkey.

With that said maybe you should look into the spitfire. it looks killer.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hey guys, Fox offers several different air volume configurations so you can dial in your air shock, be it an RP23 or DHX. We are trying them all to see if it will make a different with the rune..you can do the same , just get ahold of your local FOX dealer and order them up. Directions for changing out the air sleeve can be found on the Fox website also:thumbsup:
Its a very inexpensive option for you.

·
a tight kick sound
1,812 Posts
As an aside, mind me asking why you are keeping both 6" travel bikes? You could have a set of coil coil front and back for the Rune and just swap those out in the summer time instead of having two bikes?

Don't get me wrong, those are two of the sickest bikes going right now :)

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
boone said:
As an aside, mind me asking why you are keeping both 6" travel bikes? You could have a set of coil coil front and back for the Rune and just swap those out in the summer time instead of having two bikes?

Don't get me wrong, those are two of the sickest bikes going right now :)
True that! I know a little reduncancy going on with the two 6" travel bikes. My RFX has a been a great trail/aggro AM bike over the years, especially with the shorter Spot seatstay mod to slacken and lower it some and customed tuned Ti coil shock. But, I have been wanting a little smaller frame with a suspension design that pedals a little better, and the wife just recently gave me the "green light" to buy (which can change anytime). That, along with a complete Rune for a little more than a typical frameset at ($2k), much cheaper than upcoming new RFX frame, meant new ride for me. I know best case scenario would be to have a 5-6" trail bike and 7-8" FR/DH bike, but I don't shuttle much at all anymore and most trail bikes out there aren't enough for me on the downs.

Oh, to answer your question having two forks and two shocks for the Rune, would be sweet, but a little spendy and a bit of a pain for me to swap out the forks at least. I am kind of a "set and forget" type guy and will do the basic maintenance to keep everything running smooth, but that is about it. I rather ride than tinker with bike stuff too much. Time is limited for me with two "little ones" at home.

Riding the new bike again today on a dry, sunny day up on a new "jump line" and new trails at the new Sandy Ridge trail system just outside of Sandy, OR, so I am stoked!

Loving the Rune so far. Maybe not as plush as my previous bike (air vs coil), but pedals better both going up and down and fits me better, making it easier to jump, control and maneuver tight turns while providing just enough travel to take the impacts. The rock gardens will be the ultimate test though. Can't wait to get the Rune up at Syncline to test in the gnar'ish rocky trails (Little Moab, Hidden Canyon, Loose Lucy, Coyote Canyon). The trails are great right now <2k and while starting at TH at a little above sea level right now, that gives one a lot of options to ride in the NW!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.