Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
The rune can be set up with a coil shock. It isn't as ideal as a large volume air shock for all mountain riding, however if tunes correctly it will still feel pretty good.

A coild shock will make the bike feel a bit more plush over small bumps, but will obviously add weight, and maybe not pedal quite as well. will be potentially better on the downhills tho.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I tried a Manitou swinger coil 4 way on my Rune, and as builttoride said I had the feeling of an increased sensibility on small bumps but also much more progressivness.
I have to say that I set may air shock (EVOLVER) at 20-22% sag because I like a plush bike and the suggested settings (15%) feels to harsh for me.
The Swinger coil is set as well at 20-22%but I didn't expect a coil shock to be more progressive than a air one, but that is the fact.
Except the weight gain I can't feel considerable loss in pedaling (thanks to VF4B).
Note that air shock works with HSC&LSC completly open and bottom out set to #3 at 70psi in piggy
Swinger coil works with max volume in piggy and minimum suggested SPV press.
I'll do more testing next days and a review will follow in dedicated thread.
Any suggestion to find perfect fit of this GORGEOUS bike?
cheers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm thinking of switching to Fox DHX 5.0 Coil on my Rune.
I'm around 90kg/200lbs without gear and occasionally do 2'-3' drops on the trails.

I would like to know which Spring Rate would be suitable for me, and may be some setup guide like the one SC has http://www.santacruzmtb.com/tech/index.php?setup=1&bike=heckler
Would the 550lbs spring be ok for me?

I have checked the spring rate calculator such as http://www.tftunedshox.com/tech-area/spring-calculator.html or http://www.mojo.co.uk/html(mojo)/springcalc.htm but I want to be sure because it is quite difficult to purchase the correct springs in my country.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Apai said:
I'm thinking of switching to Fox DHX 5.0 Coil on my Rune.
I'm around 90kg/200lbs without gear and occasionally do 2'-3' drops on the trails.
...may be can help...
I'm a few pounds less than you (184) and I ride 450lbs coil on my swinger but I don't drop very much and I love plushy feeling.
cheers
Fil

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm about to hand over some bills for a Rune :)

If I wanted to use the rune for more of a freeride (drops, jumps, DH runs, park) type ride than an all mountain/adventure rig, would a DHX-coil be a better choice than the DHX-air?

Well, if the difference in performance is minimal than I would rather go for an air shock as that would be lighter and easier to set up.

btw I'm 145lbs/66kg, and would be planning on getting a van36.

·
Registered
222 Posts
FullMonty said:
beat you to it, kinda. :D if you haven't already, definitely go for the 1.5 steerer on the fork, it is retardedly solid.

No, you got me. My frame is not even here yet. Probably go with 1 1/8" steerer as that's more common than a 1.5" around here....

BTW, Nice Rune you got there, buddy! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
970 Posts
I've got to say, I enjoy my Rune equiped with a CCDB mush more than I did with the Evolver.

I've spent more time playing with the setting than I care to shake a stick at mind you!

It;s freaking awesome though! I'm 150lbs with gear, running a Ti 350lb spring - and I couldn't be a bit happier.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.