Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's the deal:
looking to get sell my 07 coilair and build up a bike. i had my mind set on a transition covert (even bought a 7.5 x 2.0 swinger 4-way to avoid tire rub) but now i am really leaning towards the banshee rune. i demo'd a shop employee's covert but really didn't like the components (the suspension mainly) and wasn't blown away by it. then again, it had an old minute and some strange fox rear shock (no stickers, i think from an old specialized).

i live in western north carolina so i am doing some extended climbs. i am interested to hear from anyone who's spent time on both of them. i have considered some other bikes like the 08 575, reign, chumba xcl and evo, knolly endorphin, but none really do it for me. i want to keep frame prices close to $1500.

i want to have a bike w/ 5.5-6 in. of travel, around 32 pounds, and climbs like there's no manana. the coilair doesn't climb as well as i'd like (maybe it's the dhx 3.0) but the frame is also a little small for me (gotta love ebay deals!). i don't do anything crazy but definitely love to rail berms and jumps.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
try a GT Sanction 1.0. weighs around 32lbs, and climbs amazingly. I've got a friend who rides and abuses his and loves it. Rides it for xc, trail, AM, every type of riding they have a name for. the newest version of the i-drive really shines. Not a boutique bike like what you are looking at, but an amazing ride and extremely stiff and strong frame. I think the frame by itself is available too.

·
Gear Whore
1,352 Posts
I had the same issue...I was actually looking at the Covert, the Rune and the Norco Fluid LT....all great bike, but I got a great deal on the Covert and jumped at the chance...and LOVE IT. The nice thing about Transition is you can order them with different parts spec's according to your needs...I like that, AND their customer service is great...I am not on my 2nd Transition because of it.

The rune is a little tougher...and that is the reason I was looking at it...but so far, the Covert has taken the punishment my 250 pound body has been throwing at it and laughing all the way....it climbs so well...and on mt. seymour on the north shore it did GREAT, I actually feel more confident on this bike than I did my Dirtbag..and that's saying a lot....it feels faster too because it pedals so much better.

Here is are some pics of my sexy blue bike:

I really don't think you can go terribly wrong with either bike....but I do know I love my Covert...it corners awesome...it feels good in the air and goes up like a goat....but it weighs a little more than you want...mostly because of the forks, wheels, BB and cranks and the stem are all heavy duty stuff...I am a big boy and ride in BC....as someone not from around here said on last weekends ride "BC's XC is like other places DH" and it has some truth to it....heh...

Ok..I will shut up now....just go ride both and buy the one that puts the biggest smile on your face...that's what it's all about. :D

happy trails.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Check for info on the Rune in the Cand bikes forum. The reviews are a good place to look as well.

Seems like a pretty hot bike right now.

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
3,219 Posts
I have owned both. IMO Rune > Covert.

The only thing you might not like about the rune is some noticeable pedal kickback in certain gears, but it isn't that bad. The Rune is well engineered, the Covert is half a catalog bike. I have seen parts of it on other "crappy" brand catalog frsames, mainly the chainstays. The Rune is MUCH stiffer than the Covert. The Rune's suspension is a little better. It sucks up hard square edged bumps like no one's business. It also has a 1.5 headtube and ISCG mounts which is nice. Then there was that whole thing where the Covert cracked in 5 months.

I ride in NC whenever I get the chance, and I have ridden the Covert all over Pisgah and it was pretty sweet. It climbs pretty good (Rune climbs better) and destroyed the downhills. Pilot Rock and Black Mountain were so much fun on that bike. Well the main pivot bolts almost well out halfway down Pilot, that sucked.

FWIW they are both good bikes and the customer service at both companies is really good. The Rune has the upper hand though, no question. You will be stoked on either one though, unless you get a Covert and then ride someone else's Rune, haha. If you want a Covert I will be selling a half new frame soon.

·
Registered
667 Posts
was lookin at the covert too, but no quote from the local distri in a week aft i mailed, so might be lookin elsewhere...
my lbs just got some intense 5.5, 6.6....

:D

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
3,219 Posts
I would just keep the Coiler myself. No 6 inch bike is going to be a super duper climber, unless it gives up some of the downhill fun or is wimpy.

·
grade A procrastinator
142 Posts
finally a comparison i like! anyway, i'd go rune over covert because of the suspension design (similar to maestro, vpp etc.). next it uses bushings and not bearings. then there's the 1.5 inches of headtube, which must make it feel super stable. i like stable. also it's prolly more laterally rigid than the covert, ie those short links and clever design.

recently i had to convince myself out of getting rid of my 06 reign that i'm still loving, so that i could acquire a rune. i considered the covert as well but imho it's not in the same league.. that's my .02 cents ;)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks, leaning to the rune

i've been on a prophet for a decent amount of time. nice bike but not what i want.

i spoke to the only nc distributor of banshee and they won't get in a demo until june or july. not sure how long i am willing to wait.

don't get me wrong, the coilair is a nice bike. however, it's a medium and i have really long legs. plus it weighs about 36 pounds.

last but not least is the lust factor. i simply want to build a new bike up from the wheels up.

thanks for the input. i am going to have to study the rune build up's and weight ranges.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
I think the Covert will perform best when it's not overbuilt like mine. The more I ride mine the more I am: 1. Impressed at the abuse it will take, and 2. Thinking it would be a better bike if I built it lighter and rode it like it was intended to be ridden. The beefier I make it, the more I am made aware by the geometry that it's NOT a FR bike. :D

The 140mm-160mm bike category is really diverse, with long travel XC bikes and short travel light-FR bikes. The Rune appears (no first-hand experience) to lean more in the light-FR direction, maybe better compared to a Transition Preston? The Covert seems happiest with a 32mm fork and lighter wheels. Don't get me wrong, the Covert works fine at 33lbs. I like the bike and I try to beat the snot out of it. But it's not a big bike, it's a trail bike that is designed for a Pike or some other light 140mm fork.

Don't know if that helps? Just my two cents.

Riding pics from this weekend:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
JMH how'd you do that drop with your seatpost that high???
last time I did one with my seatpost set for climbing I ended up with a seat stuck up my ass lol!

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
Luigiugueto said:
JMH how'd you do that drop with your seatpost that high???
last time I did one with my seatpost set for climbing I ended up with a seat stuck up my ass lol!
Heh. It's a Joplin so it's probably pushed down at that point. Just a few inches lower makes all the difference! You can see I have it pushed down AND lowered in the frame in the top pic.

JMH

·
Registered
783 Posts
JMH said:
I think the Covert will perform best when it's not overbuilt like mine. The more I ride mine the more I am: 1. Impressed at the abuse it will take, and 2. Thinking it would be a better bike if I built it lighter and rode it like it was intended to be ridden. The beefier I make it, the more I am made aware by the geometry that it's NOT a FR bike. :D

The 140mm-160mm bike category is really diverse, with long travel XC bikes and short travel light-FR bikes. The Rune appears (no first-hand experience) to lean more in the light-FR direction, maybe better compared to a Transition Preston? The Covert seems happiest with a 32mm fork and lighter wheels. Don't get me wrong, the Covert works fine at 33lbs. I like the bike and I try to beat the snot out of it. But it's not a big bike, it's a trail bike that is designed for a Pike or some other light 140mm fork.

Don't know if that helps? Just my two cents.

Riding pics from this weekend:
whats going on with that chain?

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
EDizzleVR6 said:
whats going on with that chain?
That's called "needs a chainguide."

The chain dropped to the granny several times while I was trying to nail the fakie rollback. Pedaling backwards through the rough transition caused it to hop off.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i've actually looked into building along your set up

jmh,
i actually had a pic of your covert up on my desktop for a while when i first thought that was the bike i was going w/. i like having a bike w/ up to 6" of travel, at least in front. either way i've been looking into the wotan or lyrik so i can drop it down if needed. my xc bike goes up to 130 so i'd like to have some extra travel.

i think i am going to have to track down some locals w/ these bikes and buy them a 12 pack for a test ride...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts