Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rune V3 frame finally arrived, but I was very disappointed to find out that the frame seems to be detective.

It seems that the seat tube has not been reamed at 2 points where the seat tube meets the top tube. It looks to me that the top tube is penetrating(from the excessive heat?) the seat tube on both points during the welding process and the welds are not reamed. I don't know if the top tube is supposed to penetrate the seat tube, but I have never seen the construction like this before so I do think this may be a manufacturing error.

I experienced a similar(I would say worse) QC issue when I bought spitfire V2 so I was debating myself if I should go with banshee again:madman:.

Receiving a defective frame 2 times in a row does make me question their QC processes.

How is your experience with V3 frames(Titan, Rune, Prime, Spitfire, and Phantom) in terms of quality?

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
What do you mean "if it does"? If you have the frame in-hand, surely you've tried inserting a seatpost to see if it's a problem? I really, really doubt that the tubing is out of spec.

I have a Titan, and my first frame had to go back because one of the pivots on the front triangle was misaligned. Banshee took care of me quickly and professionally, and I ended up corresponding directly with Keith (their owner and head engineer) to diagnose the issue. In my case, guidance was that the frame was still safe to ride, so just ride it until the new frame got to me and then send it back. In your case, they may rule that the weld penetration is too much (my guess), and send you a replacement frame.

In any case, best to reach out to Banshee - not much we forum-goers can do other than sympathize. Definitely a bummer!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should have said "if it did" so yes, I have tried to insert a seatpost and it did not fit.

Please note that welds on 2 points inside the seat tube sticks out (about 0.5mm) as you can see from the pictures so if I was able to insert a seatpost, it would only be held by those 2 welding points.

I am contacting the dealer, but it seems like I am not getting any response.

FYI, Banshee did take care of the issue I had with spitfire so for that perspective, I felt grateful. That was the reason I decided go with banshee again even with the previous issue I had.

What do you mean "if it does"? If you have the frame in-hand, surely you've tried inserting a seatpost to see if it's a problem? I really, really doubt that the tubing is out of spec.

I have a Titan, and my first frame had to go back because one of the pivots on the front triangle was misaligned. Banshee took care of me quickly and professionally, and I ended up corresponding directly with Keith (their owner and head engineer) to diagnose the issue. In my case, guidance was that the frame was still safe to ride, so just ride it until the new frame got to me and then send it back. In your case, they may rule that the weld penetration is too much (my guess), and send you a replacement frame.

In any case, best to reach out to Banshee - not much we forum-goers can do other than sympathize. Definitely a bummer!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a Titan, and my first frame had to go back because one of the pivots on the front triangle was misaligned.
Out of curiosity, was your misaligned pivot causing it bind as swing arm went through its range of travel?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Out of curiosity, was your misaligned pivot causing it bind as swing arm went through its range of travel?
Nope, no binding whatsoever. I really only noticed when I pulled off the rear triangle to help with brake routing, and the rear triangle shifted slightly out of line with the linkage and didn't want to line up again without being slightly forced.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nope, no binding whatsoever. I really only noticed when I pulled off the rear triangle to help with brake routing, and the rear triangle shifted slightly out of line with the linkage and didn't want to line up again without being slightly forced.
Sorry to hear either of you have had or are having issues, but helpful to know of a couple things to check out when my banshee arrives.

Thanks to both for the helpful info

524 Posts
I am contacting the dealer, but it seems like I am not getting any response.
Ouch. A response email was sent 28 minutes after your first contact and Banshee has since allocated a replacement frame. Perhaps check your spam folder.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Sorry to hear either of you have had or are having issues, but helpful to know of a couple things to check out when my banshee arrives.

Thanks to both for the helpful info
Honestly, I wouldn't say it's something to look out for...Banshee has done a great job with the fit and finish of their bikes, and the construction of these V3 frames is the most impressive yet.

I've had frame warranty issues with other companies in the past, and despite the validity of the claims, the companies have come back almost combative. Dealing with Banshee is a much more pleasant experience - great quality bikes in the first place, but knowing that you'll be taken care of if anything should crop up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't say it's something to look out for...Banshee has done a great job with the fit and finish of their bikes, and the construction of these V3 frames is the most impressive yet.

I've had frame warranty issues with other companies in the past, and despite the validity of the claims, the companies have come back almost combative. Dealing with Banshee is a much more pleasant experience - great quality bikes in the first place, but knowing that you'll be taken care of if anything should crop up.
Music to my ears

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unfortunately I seem to have the same issue with my Banshee Paradox v3. The seat post won't insert beyond 20cm whilst it should slide in to 24,8cm deep.

I'm really bummed about this, I've allready spent 4 hours putting custom protective tape on it.

IMG_20201023_193030__01.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts